Bananas, ice cream, chocolate fudge sauce, whipped cream, nuts, sprinkles and cherries all piled high into a waffle cone crust. It’s the most fun banana split ever!
In my opinion, banana splits are meant to be shared. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion, road tripping with family, or out late with friends— you visit a diner, order a big banana split with a bunch of spoons, and dig in.
So what better way to share a banana split at home, than with this ice cream pie?
You can assemble this pie however you like, just so long as you start with the waffle cone crust. It’s an absolute must, like one big delicious waffle cone.
Into that crust you can add sliced bananas, whatever flavors of ice cream you like, and all of your favorite toppings. I kept mine classic— chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream with fudge sauce, whipped cream, nuts, sprinkles and cherries.
Other optional toppings include caramel, marshmallow fluff, pineapple, strawberry preserves and pretty much whatever else you can think of. Make it how you want it!
Just when you thought banana splits couldn’t get any more fun, enter this ice cream pie. Your friends and family are going to go nuts!
Banana Split Ice Cream Pie
For the crust:
- 2 cups (300 grams) crushed waffle cone crumbs (about 10 cones)
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1-2 bananas, sliced
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup (300 grams) chocolate fudge sauce
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries
- Chopped nuts
- Rainbow sprinkles
- In a large bowl combine the waffle cone crumbs, sugar, salt and butter. Press evenly into a 9-inch pie dish. Chill for 1 hour.
- Let ice cream sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes to soften.
- Line the bottom of the prepared pie crust with sliced bananas. Scoop the ice cream over the top, alternating flavors. Use a spatula to even out the top. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Pour chocolate fudge sauce over the top of the pie and freeze for another 15 minutes until firm.
- Top with whipped cream, nuts, sprinkles and maraschino cherries. Use a hot knife to slice pie, wiping it clean between each cut.
- Store leftovers in the freezer for up to 2 days.