This is autumn in a bowl right here, with apples, cinnamon and pecans baked into oatmeal and served up for a hearty breakfast.
Over the weekend we made our annual pilgrimage to the Utah mountains to see the beautiful fall colors. We drove up a nearby canyon, “oohing” and “ahhing” along the way. After a short toddler-friendly hike at the top of the pass, we then drove down the other side into a quaint mountain town where, per tradition, we shared a banana split.
It was a fabulous little excursion, and one I look forward to every year. Utah is beautiful all year round, but there’s something about the golden aspens in the fall that takes my breath away.
I absolutely love where I live, for many reasons. The fact that we get four separate and characteristic seasons is among them. Winter will be here all too soon, but until then I get to enjoy mild temperatures, gorgeous fall colors, and a great mixture of sunshine and rain.
This baked oatmeal with apples, pecans and spices is definitely for those gloomy fall days when you want to stay indoors wrapped in a blanket, and need something warm and cozy to start your day. Not only is it delicious (like apple crisp, but for breakfast!), but it’s hearty and pretty good for you too. And unless you’re feeding a crowd, it’s also a great dish to bake once and enjoy all week long.
Make it overnight oatmeal
Want to make breakfast easier? Prepare the oatmeal the night before and chill it in the fridge while you sleep. The next morning, bake it straight from the fridge and enjoy a stress-free homemade breakfast.
Apple Cinnamon Pecan Baked Oatmeal
For the cooked apples:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (28 grams)
- 3 medium apples , peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons packed light or dark brown sugar
For the oatmeal:
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats (not quick cooking) (200 grams)
- ⅓ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (37 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped pecans (57 grams)
- 2 cups milk (475 ml)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooked apples , from above
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish, or dish of similar size.
- Place the butter, apples, cinnamon and brown sugar in a skillet and set over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla. Add to the oat mixture and stir until combined. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spoon cooked apples on top.
- Bake uncovered until golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Serve warm with additional milk, if desired. Store leftovers in the fridge.