Soft and chewy chocolate cookies sandwiched with vanilla ice cream make for a wonderful summertime treat.
Things are starting to heat up here in Moab and I’m gearing up for a long hot summer the best way I know how— by stocking the freezer full of ice cream. It’s definitely the most delicious way to stay cool.
Last year I used the fact that I was pregnant as an excuse to eat ice cream every day. What’s my excuse this year? I’m not sure, but I’ll think of something.
Growing up, these ice cream sandwiches were a summertime staple. They start with my mom’s famous soft and chewy chocolate cookies and most often were filled with store-bought vanilla ice cream. Super simple, and extremely satisfying on a hot afternoon.
Totally worth the sticky fingers.
Sprinkles are completely optional, too, though highly recommended. They always help to make things fun and celebratory, don’t you think?
And summertime is definitely something to celebrate!
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cup (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup (60 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 half gallon of vanilla ice cream
- Rainbow sprinkles, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and creamy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the mixer and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips, if using.
- Scoop by the rounded tablespoon onto the prepared sheet pan and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake until edges are crisp, about 9 minutes. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Let vanilla ice cream sit at room temperature 10-15 minutes to soften. Place a large scoop of ice cream on 1 cookie. Top with another cookie and gently press together. Roll in sprinkles, if using.
- Freeze until ready to serve or serve immediately.
This recipe was originally published September 2009. Photos have been updated.
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.