Your summer needs these hot dogs topped with grilled pineapple and avocado salsa, crumbly cotija cheese, and fresh cilantro.
We’re coming up on Memorial Day Weekend! And we all know what that means— summer can officially begin.
Afternoons at the pool. Campouts. Tank tops and flip flops. Farmers markets. S’mores. Drinks out on the patio. Road trips. Sunscreen. And of course, lots and lots grilling. I’m looking forward to it all!
We’re already having hot dogs on a regular basis, but Hot Dog Night just got a whole lot more fun thanks to this pineapple and avocado salsa.
This salsa, you guys, is EVERYTHING. I really think I could eat it with everything too. And on hot dogs with a little cotija cheese? Incredible. You won’t even miss the ketchup and mustard.
The salsa’s got a great combination of sweet, salty and mild heat. Grilling the pineapple beforehand really brings out the sweetness and juices, so don’t skip this step!
These dogs belong at your next BBQ or cookout. Your summer needs it, trust me.
Hot Dogs with Grilled Pineapple and Avocado Salsa
- 1/2 regular sized pineapple, cut into long strips
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package of 6-8 hot dogs or brats
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese
- Additional cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Place strips of pineapple on grill and cook each side for 1-2 minutes until soft and slightly charred. Remove and let cool, then chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl toss together the pineapple, avocado, jalapeno, lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Grill hot dogs or brats over medium high heat. Serve in buns topped with pineapple avocado salsa and cotija cheese.
Have you tried this recipe?