I think it’s finally safe to say that summer has arrived in Utah. Hooray! I couldn’t be any more excited, it’s been a long time coming.

One of the things I’ve been most excited about in looking forward to the summer season is getting to use my new ice cream machine more often. It’s been sitting on my shelf all winter, waiting. And now I plan to put it to good use.

I decided to begin my Summer of Ice Cream with my favorite flavor, mint chocolate chip. It’s hard to pick one favorite flavor of ice cream, but if I had to, this would definitely be it. It’s classic, it’s nostalgic, and it’s just so darn good.

It’s simple enough to make (if you own an ice cream machine, that is, and I think everyone should). You start with a custard base of milk, eggs, and sugar. Add to that mint flavoring and some green food coloring. Then you pour it into the machine.

Filling the ice machine

And while the machine works it’s magic, you chop up some bittersweet chocolate, adding it in during the last few minutes.

Bittersweet chocolate

And voila! In just thirty minutes you have wonderfully delicious mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Finished freezing

It’s smooth, creamy, and has a nice crunch from the dark chocolate. It was the perfect end to our Memorial Day barbecue on Monday.

Now, what ice cream flavor should I try next?

Mint chocolate chip ice cream

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Adapted from My Kitchen Addiction
Makes 4 quarts

2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon mint extract (I used peppermint)
2 drops green food coloring (optional)
3 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and set aside.

Combine the heavy cream, whole milk, and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Don’t allow the mixture to boil, but watch for it to steam and have little bubbles form around the edges. Remove from heat.

Slowly add the milk mixture to egg yolks, whisking constantly. You can do this by pouring it directly from the pan in a small, steady stream. Or you can use a ladle and slowly add the milk to the eggs, which is how I prefer to do it. Once the mixture is completely combined, return it to the saucepan and place over medium heat and continue to cook until thickened, stirring constantly. You want the mixture to coat the back of a spoon.

Remove from heat and add the vanilla and mint extracts and the food coloring, if using. Pour into a shallow dish and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for a few hours or overnight.

When ready to make the ice cream, follow the instructions for your machine. Add the chopped chocolate during the last 5 minutes of freezing. The ice cream will be the consistency of soft serve. If desired, transfer the ice cream to a bowl and freeze for an additional 1-2 hours to harden.

9 Responses to Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

1. Mindy says:

Oh, my! You had me with your title. I am salivating now. This is my absolute favorite ice cream flavor. I have a kitchen aid ice cream maker attachment, but I've never successfully made ice cream. Maybe your instructions will be magic for me!

2. roxan says:

I love my ice cream maker! I've already used mine a few times in the past couple. I try to stay away from the custard based recipes though, because of the cholesterol. My personal favorite flavor is pistachio, although i haven't made it in my ice cream maker yet!

3. Sam and Jen Chesnut says:

Question…can you use the chocolate mint plant to flavor the ice cream? For 2 years now I have been thinking about this question and was going to buy a chocolate mint plant to try it this year. Seeing how you are the professional, what are your thoughts?

4. Annalise says:

Jen,

Yes, you can absolutely use mint or chocolate-mint to flavor the ice cream. We have an abundance of mint in the backyard and I considered using it. But I decided that most people don't, and so I made it with extract this time, but plan to play around with the herb in the future.

How I would do it, is I would add maybe 2 packed cups of mint to the cream, milk, and sugar. Heat it to just before it boils, remove from heat, cover and let it sit for about an hour. Then remove the leaves, reheat the mixture and proceed with the recipe.

If you try it, be sure to let me know how it goes!

5. grace says:

luscious and mouth-watering work. :)

6. Georgia says:

I don't own an ice cream machine, but I think this has just about convinced me that I need one! This looks just lovely, Annalise!

7. StyleNectar says:

Yummy! My husband's favorite flavor and I'd love too! You have to try my mint chocolate ganache whoopie pies at StyleNectar. You'll love -so easy and divine! Love your blog doll!
    xoxo
    Juliane of http://www.StyleNectar.com

8. Claus says:

Yes you can use fresh mint lesves it is actually better, , just add the leaves and maybe blend it this will also add natural colour to the ice cream.

9. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

This looks so good! My kids favorite!