Rich and dark chocolate ice cream studded with mini marshmallows and toasted hazelnuts is a perfect indulgence to help beat the heat.
I never cared much for rocky road ice cream as a kid. I think it was the nuts.
Fast forward 20 years to last week when I realized I still hadn’t given rocky road the second chance it deserves. 20 years without the combination of chocolate ice cream, marshmallows and nuts? I must be nuts. And so I made batch of rocky road ice cream.
Rocky road ice cream is traditionally made with chopped almonds, though just about any nut will do. So I went with hazelnuts since they are one of my favorites, especially when chocolate is also involved. And what a lovely combination they make in this ice cream!
One last tasty twist I added to this recipe was doubling the amount of bittersweet chocolate in the recipe and lowering the sugar content. The result is a dark chocolaty ice cream base that I’m still swooning over.
Rocky road ice cream, welcome to my life! I think we’re going to get along just fine.
- 1 cup (237 ml) whole milk
- 2 cups (475 ml) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (20 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 ounces (170 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped or use chips
- ⅔ cup (66 grams) granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso (optional)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (43 grams) mini marshmallows
- ½ cup (70 grams) hazelnuts or other nuts, chopped and toasted
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine the milk, 1 cup of the cream, cocoa powder, bittersweet chocolate, sugar, salt and espresso (if using). Heat until steaming, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks together in a large bowl. Very slowly pour the hot chocolate mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly until it is all combined. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and return to medium-high heat. Cook until mixture coats the back of a spoon, while stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream. If desired, pour through a mesh strainer to remove any lumps. Chill completely in the fridge, for at least 2 hours.
- Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions. During the last 5 minutes of freezing, add the mini marshmallows and chopped hazelnuts. Transfer ice cream to a large bowl or plastic container. Cover and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.
about meHi, I'm Annalise and I love to bake! Welcome to my blog, where you'll find recipes, baking tips and tricks, and more.