IMG_3579

Whenever a get together is planned with friends I’m always quick to chime in “I’ll bring dessert!” And I don’t think my offer has ever been refused. The offer even goes without saying in some cases, and I love that. I love that my friends enjoy what I bake and that they let me experiment on them.

I admit, some of my creations turn out better than others, but no one ever complains (at least not to my face), and until they do I’m going to keep bringing the dessert.

IMG_3509

IMG_3522

Earlier this week I was to take something sweet along with me to a friend’s house for dinner. I also had a bag of peaches still unused from the weekend. One thing led to another and soon I’d settled on baking these peach crumb bars. The recipe first came to my attention a few years ago thanks to Smitten Kitchen as blueberry crumb bars and they have become somewhat of a staple ever since. I’ve baked them with raspberries and blackberries, and strawberries and rhubarb (but never with blueberries, oddly enough), and now with peaches.

I couldn’t pick a favorite flavor combination, they are all winners. Somewhere between a slice of pie and a cookie, they are every fruit-plus-butter-plus-sugar lover’s dream. And I definitely fall into that category.

IMG_3530

IMG_3532

If I had to choose between a slice of chocolate cake and one of these peach crumb bars, it would be a difficult decision, but the crumb bars would win out ever time. But that’s just because I’m not a huge chocolate fan (though I do love chocolate, and chocolate cake), and also because these peach crumb bars are that good.

IMG_3557

You may enjoy these other peach treats:
Peach Sangria Sorbet by Completely Delicious

1 teaspoon ground ginger
Zest of one lemon
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1 egg
4 cups (about 4 large) peaches, peeled and sliced
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, salt and lemon zest. Add the butter and toss with the flour mixture. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter until the size of peas. Whisk the egg slightly, and stir it into the crumb mixture. Dough will be crumbly. Press half of the dough into the prepared baking pan.

In another bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Add the sliced peaches and gently mix. Spoon the peaches over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the peach mixture.

Bake for 45-55 minutes, until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares. Stores really well in the fridge.

16 Responses to Peach Crumb Bars

1. Jamie says:

Mmm these look so good! Nothing better than the taste of fresh peaches!

2. Deborah says:

I've been going crazy with the peaches lately, and these look delicious!!

3. The Procrastobaker says:

Goodness me i swear i adore every single recipe you post, maybe half because of the GORGEOUS photos but more often than not the recipes just sound irresistible. These are so going to get made in my little house sooner rather than later! :)

4. Kelsey (Happyolks) says:

Yum! I have a basket of peaches that are on their last leg, I was thinking pie or cobbler but I think I'll try this. I love how you get to experiment on your friends! I love sharing recipes with friends and family. With a blog, it's hard to know how many people actually try out our creations at home — the "views" never match the comments, making it difficult to tell if you hit the mark. Friends are perfect validators. I wish I lived down the street to share in your sweet treats… ;)

5. Becky at VintageMixer says:

These look amazing! I don't know if I've ever made crumb bars but I'm loving your creativity using fresh peaches.

6. Erika Beth, the Messy Chef says:

At least someone had decent peaches around for this recipe. Yours turned out lovely!

7. Priya says:

Feel like having rite now, lookz marvellous and awesome..

8. Cookin' Canuck says:

We have a go-to fruit crumb bar that we've used with various fruits, but I've yet to make them with peaches. These sounds awesome! I can see why your friends are happy to let you bring dessert.

9. Cooking Creation says:

Yes! I have so many peaches and now they have a wonderful purpose! These sound amazing!

10. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

These look fantastic! I must try these

11. Alli @ An Open Cookbook says:

I love how the peaches are sandwiched between the dough…these look so decadently good!

I just made these a few days ago to bring to a game night and they were a hit! The host could not stop going back for more :) I love how versatile these bars are. I only had one peach, two nectarines, and some canned peaches on hand and they turned out amazing.

13. green food powder says:

Peach crumb bars taste good with lemon and ground ginger added.

14. Becki's Whole Life says:

Fresh peaches are my favorite fruit right now and if they are in a dessert like this – even better. These look wonderful!

15. Becky at VintageMixer says:

ps…thanks for the link :)

16. Siobhan says:

I made these and they were delicious. I scattered a handful of walnuts over the peaches before adding the topping. I am glad you mentioned the dough was crumbly – it was very much so and I would have worried otherwise. I plan to make them again this weekend with nectarines.