These sausage stuffed zucchini boats are cheesy and delicious, and have my whole family’s stamp of approval. Plus they’re simple to make and require only 6 ingredients, perfect for any night of the week!
Zucchini boats are such a fun option when you’re craving something cozy and hearty, but also don’t want to go overboard with a heavy meal. Skip that big bowl of pasta, and make these sausage stuffed zucchini boats instead!
They’re the perfect late-summer dinner, when you or a neighbor have more than a few garden zucchini that need to be used up. Though honestly, we enjoy this easy meal year-round.
A great way to use up summer zucchini
These sausage stuffed zucchini boats are the perfect way to use up imperfect zucchini. Whether they’re a little too large, or have been sitting in the crisper drawer too long and no longer have their shiny and smooth skin, it doesn’t matter! Add sausage, marinara sauce, and lots of melty mozzarella cheese and no one will be the wiser.
This recipe calls for 3 medium zucchini, but you can also use 4 or 5 small zucchini or 2 larger zucchini. Just note that the smaller the zucchini, the more difficult it may be to scoop out the centers.
About These Zucchini Boats
I’ve seen lots of variations with fun mix-ins and different themes— lasagna, pizza, taco, the options on pinterest go on and on. While those all look awesome, I wanted to keep things sweet and simple. My sausage stuffed zucchini boats require just 6 ingredients and about 30 minutes to make start to finish.
Here’s all you need:
- Ground Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- Chopped onion
- Minced garlic
- Bottled marinara sauce (use your favorite!)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
It’s such a quick and easy meal! Here’s what you need to do:
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the centers with a spoon. Give the scooped zucchini flesh a rough chop.
- Brown sausage for a few minutes, then add onion, garlic, and chopped zucchini and cook until sausage is cooked through and veggies are softened.
- Stir in marinara sauce.
- Spoon the mixture into the hollowed out zucchini “boats” and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake on a lined sheet pan until mozzarella cheese is melted, about 15-20 minutes.
And then, enjoy!
Ways to serve these zucchini boats
These sausage stuffed zucchini boats are a light meal all by themselves, but I also like to serve them with buttered pasta or steamed rice. A simple side salad would be awesome too!
More savory zucchini recipes
- Southwest Chicken Skillet with Corn and Zucchini
- Turkey Zucchini Meatballs
- Pan Fried Zucchini Chips
- Tomato Zucchini Pie
Shop tools for this recipe
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage , mild or hot
- ½ onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper , as needed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the insides of the zucchini. Give the zucchini a rough chop and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage for about 3-4 minutes until it's browned.
- Add chopped onion, minced garlic, and chopped zucchini to the skillet and cook until sausage is cooked all the way through and veggies are softened, about another 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in marinara sauce.
- Line zucchini boats onto the prepared baking pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon sausage mixture into each and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and sausage is a little bit bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.