Buttery crumb bars filled with fresh summer peaches. It’s like a pie in bar form!
Whenever a get together is planned with friends I’m always quick to chime in “I’ll bring dessert!” And I don’t think my offer has ever been refused. The offer even goes without saying in some cases, and I love that. I love that my friends enjoy what I bake and that they let me experiment on them.
I admit, some of my creations turn out better than others, but no one ever complains (at least not to my face), and until they do I’m going to keep bringing the dessert.
Earlier this week I was to take something sweet along with me to a friend’s house for dinner. I also had a bag of peaches still unused from the weekend. One thing led to another and soon I’d settled on baking these peach crumb bars. The recipe first came to my attention a few years ago thanks to Smitten Kitchen as blueberry crumb bars and they have become somewhat of a staple ever since. I’ve baked them with raspberries and blackberries, and strawberries and rhubarb (but never with blueberries, oddly enough), and now with peaches.
I couldn’t pick a favorite flavor combination, they are all winners. Somewhere between a slice of pie and a cookie, they are every fruit-plus-butter-plus-sugar lover’s dream. And I definitely fall into that category.
If I had to choose between a slice of chocolate cake and one of these peach crumb bars, it would be a difficult decision, but the crumb bars would win out ever time. But that’s just because I’m not a huge chocolate fan (though I do love chocolate, and chocolate cake), and also because these peach crumb bars are that good.
You may enjoy these other peach treats:
Peach Sangria Sorbet by Completely Delicious
Vegan Peach Crisp with Hazelnut Pecan Topping by The Vintage Mixer
Poached Peaches with Raspberries by Baked Bree
Peach Ice Cream with Sour Cream and Black Pepper by Sassy Radish
Peach Cobbler for One by Joy the Baker
Peach Crumb Bars
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 4 cups (about 4 large) peaches, peeled and sliced
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, salt and lemon zest. Add the butter and toss with the flour mixture. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter until the size of peas. Whisk the egg slightly, and stir it into the crumb mixture. Dough will be crumbly. Press half of the dough into the prepared baking pan.
- In another bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Add the sliced peaches and gently mix. Spoon the peaches over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the peach mixture.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares. Stores really well in the fridge.