I usually stop off on my way home from work Friday evening to pick up any necessary food items for the weekend. My list is typically fairly short-milk, eggs, bananas, that sort of stuff-and so I opt for the small basket over the large cart. But it never fails that twenty minutes later I’m hoisting my overflowing basket onto the checkout conveyor belt not labeled 15 Items or Less.

I get sidetracked. I can’t pass up the lovely display of fresh fruit, the amazing deal on chocolate chips, or I suddenly realize that we are out of bacon (and a weekend without bacon is nothing to get excited about). And so my basket fills and gets heavier with every passing aisle.

This happened last Friday. Immediately inside the store I stopped short at a case full of blackberries labeled 10 for $10.00. Just a dollar each! I grabbed six containers and continued with my shopping trip and the rest of my evening.

But what on earth was I going to do with all of those blackberries?

Scoop of cobbler

I pulled out several cookbooks and each one had a lovely recipe for blackberry cobbler. It seemed meant to be. I finally decided on Pioneer Woman’s recipe because it was the odd one, so very different from all of the others. I’m not sure it even is a cobbler, but I figured I should try it and decide for myself. And besides, it required a remarkably small amount of ingredients and I really didn’t want to make another shopping trip (we all know how that would go).

So I gave it a shot. I admit I was very skeptical. Rather than a biscuit-type dough, she uses almost a cake-like batter. And the blackberries go on top of the batter, not the other way around. I was expecting more of a light cake studded with blackberries rather than anything resembling a traditional cobbler. It came out of the oven smelling amazing, but there weren’t any blackberries in sight. I knew they were down there somewhere, and so I dug in.

First my spoon had to break through the crispy layer created by a sprinkling of sugar to the top before and during baking. Then there was a thick, soft, and cakey layer. Finally, down at the bottom were my bargain blackberries. I’m not sure they were supposed to sink, but I liked it. It looked more like a cobbler.

I ate nearly half the cobbler myself immediately with some vanilla ice cream, standing at the kitchen counter. I learned right away not to judge a recipe by its title. Cobbler, cake, something-in-between, whatever this dish it, it’s delicious and deserves its day in the sun. Thank you, Pioneer Woman for the life lesson. Also, thank you $1.00 blackberries. My freezer is stocked and I’m looking forward to blackberry cobblers all summer long.

All finished

Pioneer Woman’s Blackberry Cobbler
From The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Makes 6-8 servings

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup while milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 3-quart baking dish with butter.

Rinse the blackberries and dry on a paper towel. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup of the sugar, the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk and combine. Add the melted butter and whisk until smooth. Pour the batter into the greased baking dish. Scatter the top with all of the blackberries. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar over the top.

Bake for approximately 1 hour or until edges are crispy. When 10 minutes remain of cooking time, sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.

Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, or both.

16 Responses to Pioneer Woman’s Blackberry Cobbler

1. Jennifurla says:

Same thing happens to me, enter store with all intentions of picking up 5 things and soon I have 20 things! When I am in the prduce section my mind just starts racing – AND NEVER GO WHEN YOU HUNGRY! BAD NEWS.

2. Michelle says:

Thank you for posting! Looks delicious. And berries are on sale here, too.

3. SLCFoodie says:

This looks amazing! I am always looking for new recipes involving blackberries.

4. Georgia says:

Wow, that is decadent! A wonderful spring/summer dessert, especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream!

5. pantrymama says:

Looks amazing! The photos are particularly tempting!

So, I am wondering, in the spirit of pioneering, how would I adjust this recipe to cook in a camp dutch oven? An 8" is only 2 qt. and the 10" is 4 qt. while your recipe asks for a 3 qt. baking dish. I'd rather use a 10" dutch oven but don't want it to be too flat. Any suggestions?

7. grace says:

this is a staple in my house, no joke. blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches. fresh, frozen, what-have-you. as long as vanilla ice cream is also involved, one can't go wrong. :)

8. K says:

Yum! That looks so good, maybe it's the opposite theory of pecan pie, nuts float, berries sink.

9. Annalise says:

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

I imagine you would have no problem baking this in a dutch oven. If you're going to use the 10" just keep in mind that the cobbler will be thinner and will cook faster. I'd probably check it around the 40-45 minute mark, maybe a little earlier just to be sure. Should be delicious, enjoy!

10. Sam and Jen Chesnut says:

Annalise I am always entered by your story telling!!!! And I hear you with the "discount" berries. Yum yum yum!!!! I will be making this one soon.

11. Jessica says:

I made this from the Pioneer Woman a few weeks ago…I was scared at first because of the small amount of ingredients/work it involved! but my blackberries sank as well, but man was this such a treat!!

I just baked this recipe, It was delicious. it didn't last long. I was wondering how it would turn out if you doubled the recipe? thank you

13. Annalise says:

I think you can definitely double this recipe! If you happen to have a dish that is twice the size (surface area-wise, not twice as deep) you'd have the most success. Just double everything and watch it while it bakes, it may require extra time. I'd let it go the full hour and then check every 5 to 10 minutes after that.

sorry girls but I toke the grand daughter and we picked our own black berrys. but since it has been so long since I helped my gramma make the cobblers I checked out your post. I added extra self rising flower and butter and with about ten minutes left to cook I sprinked with a little sugar and squeezed on a little honey over the top got to admit grampa's the man today

This was a simple and tasty cobbler!!! I am hoping it will work well to triple this recipe. I will do a trial run on monday September 6th. Thanks again for sharing this great recipe!

Di

16. Miranda says:

This was absolutely the best cobbler I've ever had, thank you for posting! Kudos to you and PW!