Tropical Rum Trifles with Coconut Cream
Layers of coconut cream, rum-soaked cake, chunks of pineapple, mango and strawberries, with toasted coconut and macadamia nuts— it’s a tropical delight all packaged up in a little jar!
Post sponsored by Hanau Liquor Cakes.
Summer is here!
The long wait is over and winter is only a distant memory. Bring on backyard barbecues, trips to the beach, and lots and lots of sunscreen. I’m craving campfire s’mores and popsicles.
Also, I demand that you add a trifle to your summer bucket list, because every summer needs at least one trifle. Layers of fruit, cream and cake— it just doesn’t get much better. Oh, unless you add some liquor.
I was delighted when my package of “cakes with a kick” arrived from Hanau Products. They’ve teamed up with Cruzan® Rum, Jose Cuervo® Tequila and Jim Bean® Bourbon to combine two of my great loves— cake and liquor. They are moist, flavorful, and fun!
This week starts their online crowdfunding campaign. Visit their campaign page to learn more, pledge your support, and get your own liquor cakes.
When Hanau asked me to develop a recipe using one of their liquor cakes, immediately I thought of a fun summer trifle. With the rum cakes calling out to me, a tropical theme was the way to go.
I made an easy homemade coconut custard, and soaked pineapple, mango and strawberries in rum before layering the whole thing together. Toasted coconut and macadamia nuts complete the whole package.
You can assemble the trifle in a large trifle dessert, or use small glasses or jars for individual desserts. I love how using jars with lids makes them easy to store and take on the go (think fun summer picnic!).
Tropical Rum Trifle with Coconut Cream
For the coconut cream:
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (28 grams)
- 1 cup whole milk (237 ml)
- 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk (415 ml)
- 4 large egg yolks
For the trifle:
- 4 cups chopped strawberries, mango and pineapple , chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 3 cups coconut cream
- 1 pound cake , cut in thin chunks
- ½ cup flaked or shredded coconut , toasted (43 grams)
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts , toasted (37 grams)
To make the coconut cream:
- Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, milk, coconut milk and egg yolks in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium high heat while stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Pass through a mesh strainer to remove any lumps. Chill completely.
- Can be made up to 3 days in advance. Store in the fridge.
To assemble the trifle(s):
- Toss together the strawberries, mango and pineapple chunks with the sugar and rum. Let sit for 15 minutes. Strain fruit and reserve the liquid.
- Brush the cake chunks with the rum/fruit liquid.
- In a large trifle or glass bowl, or in individual glasses or jars, add a thin layer of coconut cream. Arrange a layer of cake chunks on top, followed by a layer of fruit. Top trifle(s) with toasted coconut and macadamia nuts.
- Chill until ready to serve.