Tips for rolling out cookie dough
- Shape cookie dough into a disk about 1 inch thick before chilling. If necessary, shape into 2 disks.
- Let chilled dough rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes before rolling. This will make rolling easier and reduce cracking.
- Make sure your work surface is well floured to minimize sticking.
- While you roll out the dough, lift and turn it every now and then to make sure there is no sticking. Use a bench scraper if needed to unstick dough.
- Cut shapes as close together as possible to reduce scraps.
- Gather all scraps together and knead into a ball. Shape into a disk and chill for 20 minutes before re-rolling and cutting.
- If you’re worried about your cut cookies spreading in the oven, freeze on the sheet pan for 15 minutes before baking.