Tips for making spritz cookies
- Use a clean, un-greased, un-lined cookie sheet for baking. This way the cookie dough will have something to grab onto as it’s pressed and released from the cookie press.
- You may need to push down the cookie press twice to get one cookie to release. It depends a lot on the shape you’re using. And if one comes out messy, scrape it off the cookie sheet and reuse the dough in the next batch.
- If you’d like to add sprinkles, it’s best to do so before baking so the sprinkles can cling to the moist dough. If you are using a glaze, sprinkles can be added after.
- While a cookie press may yield the best results, you can use a pastry bag fitted with a plain or decorative tip to pipe out the dough instead.
- Bake just until cookies appear set and dry on top, but do not let them brown.
- Spritz cookies freeze very well. Freeze in a single layer on a lined sheet pan, then transfer to a freezer zipped bag for and freeze for a month or more. Let thaw at room temperature.