Last week Steve and I hosted a few friends over for dinner, Becky of Vintage Mixer and her husband Josh. I love dining on our deck during the summer and I look for as many opportunities to share the experience with others as possible.
Becky brought the main dish, a delicious pasta with garlic scape pesto, squash and bacon. I provided dessert, and baked a sweet cherry galette with hazelnut crust for the occasion.
I was given a bag of hazelnut flour last month at BlogHer Food from Bob’s Red Mill to sample and I had been saving it for something special. A nutty crust wrapped around fragrant seasonal fruit sounded very special indeed and that’s how this galette was born.
I love summer galettes, they’ve got everything you love about pies but without all the fuss. They’re also great for entertaining, since you can bake them earlier in the day and serve them at room temperature. I liked how this galette turned out and the pairing of cherries and hazelnut was spot on. The nutty crust was a little more difficult to work with than traditional pie crust, but the texture and flavor made it worth the extra effort.
The whole evening was wonderful— great food and great company. Plus, we were able to enjoy a few little baby snuggles from their son, Everett. You don’t realize how big your own baby is getting (he’ll be 15 months old this month!) until you hold a newborn and get a little perspective.
Shared meals truly are the best meals. Thanks for joining us, Becky and Josh!
Sweet Cherry and Hazelnut Galette
For the crust:
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (65 grams) hazelnut flour
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1-3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for wash
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
For the filling:
- 2 lbs (900 grams) sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
For serving (optional):
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) hazelnut, chopped
To make the crust:
- Combine the flour, hazelnut flour, powdered sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the cubed butter and toss to coat. Pulse in short bursts until the butter is the size of small peas. With the food processor running, add the water a tablespoon at a time until the mixture comes together into a ball.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and shape into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
To assemble the galette:
- Preheat to the oven to 375 degrees and line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Roll the crust out on a lightly floured surface until it is a rough 12 inch circle. In a large bowl, toss together the cherries, cornstarch, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Dump into the center of the circle, leaving a few inches around the edges.
- Fold the edges up over the cherry mixture, pleating the dough as you go, until you've created a rim around the whole galette. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, about 35-45 minutes. Let cool completely. Serve at room temperature or reheat to serve warm.
To make the whipped cream:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream until thickened. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until soft peaks.
- If desired, serve galette with whipped cream and chopped hazelnuts.