A simple cake with BIG flavor— spiced zucchini pear bundt cake with brown butter glaze.
I love cake. I looooove cake. But I’m not always in the mood for a fancy, high-maintenance layer cake. Sometimes I just want something simple, something quick and easy, but that still tastes amazing.
Enter this bundt cake! This spiced zucchini pear bundt cake with brown butter glaze is everything you could want in a humble but satisfying autumn dessert.
This bundt cake is filled with pears and zucchini— which are both still in season in October, by the way!— and spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. It’s moist, flavorful, and is honestly so good it doesn’t even need any frosting or glaze.
But who am I to pass up an opportunity to smother a cake in icing? And this glaze made with browned butter really is the literal icing on the cake.
This recipe has been on my site since 2010, but I felt I needed to re-post it today so it can get the love it deserves. Don’t be fooled by its simple appearance, you’re gonna love it!
baking tip:How to brown butter
1. Place a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium low heat.
2. Add cubed butter to the pan and let it melt (cubing the butter first allows it to melt more evenly).
3. Once the butter is melted, it will start to foam. Stir frequently with a rubber spatula, scraping the bottom of the pan.
4. Continue to cook butter until you see brown specs in the butter and it has a nutty aroma.
5. Remove from heat immediately. Do not let it burn.
6. Use the browned butter right away or put in the fridge for later use.
Spiced Zucchini Pear Cake with Brown Butter Glaze
For the cake:
- 1 1/4 (150 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (105 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (155 grams) zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup (165 grams) pears, peeled and diced
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (210 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Have you tried this recipe?
This recipe was originally published November 2010. Photos have been updated and minor improvements to the recipe have been made.
Some of my blogging friends and I are taking on the challenge to eat seasonally. Check out Vintage Mixer’s guide to what’s in season this month and join us, won’t you?
Turkey Pumpkin Pot Pie by Kitchen Confidante
Roasted Chicken with Figs and Butternut Squash by Vintage Mixer
Lentil Chile Rellenos with Creamy Walnut Sauce Letty’s Kitchen
Chorizo, Black Bean, and Kabocha Squash Chili by Flavor the Moments
Roasted Root Vegetable Soup by Joy Food Sunshine
Orange Spiced Salmon with Spaghetti Squash by Foodie Crush
Pork Chops with Roasted Pears, Sage and Shallots By Simple Bites
Marinated Zucchini with Red Peppers and Garlic Project Domestication
Roasted Red Cabbage Wedges with Za’atar by Floating Kitchen