Layers of vanilla ice cream, chocolate fudge, salty caramel, chopped peanuts and chunks of Snickers candy bar make this an ultimate frozen treat.
In my neck of the woods summer is still in full force. And truth be told, while I don’t handle the heat very well much of the time, I am soaking up these remaining hot summer days. I don’t even want to think about fall and the cold that will inevitably follow.
And while summer’s here, I’m going to keep churning out the ice cream recipes, if you don’t mind.
Here’s an ice cream your whole family is sure to love. There’s a reason why Snickers is one of the most popular candy bars— you just can’t go wrong with chocolate, caramel and peanuts. Put all of that into an ice cream and you’ve hit a home run.
Speaking of home runs, go out and enjoy the rest of your summer!
Snickers Ice Cream
For the ice cream:
- 1 cup whole milk (237 ml)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups heavy cream (475 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Caramel sauce , recipe follows
- Chocolate fudge sauce , recipe follows
- ½ cup peanuts , chopped (85 grams)
- 1 cup snickers candy bars , chopped (150 grams, about 10 snack size bars)
For the caramel sauce:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (43 grams)
- ⅓ cup sugar (65 grams)
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 ml)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
For the chocolate fudge sauce:
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup (80 ml)
- ½ cup water (120 ml)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (32 grams)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the ice cream base:
- Heat the milk, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Chill thoroughly in the fridge, at least a few hours or overnight.
To make the caramel sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, and continue to cook for several minutes until mixture turns golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add heavy cream a little bit at a time, whisking constantly. Mixture will bubble violently at first. Add the vanilla extract and coarse sauce and whisk until smooth. If chunks of caramel remain, return to medium low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Chill completely in the fridge.
To make the chocolate fudge sauce:
- Combine the sugar, light corn syrup, water and cocoa powder in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract. Chill completely in the fridge.
To assemble the ice cream:
- Freeze the ice cream base in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions. Add half of the peanuts and chopped Snickers bar during the last 5 minutes of churning.
- Working quickly, spread a layer of the caramel sauce and chocolate sauce on the bottom of a large bowl or container. Spoon some ice cream on top and drizzle with more sauce, peanuts, and chopped candy bars. Repeat until you have used all of the ice cream. You will have caramel sauce and chocolate sauce left over.
- Place in the freezer for a few hours to firm up. Serve with additional caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, peanuts and chopped candy bars, if desired.