Pecan and Gouda Cheese Ball with Cranberries
This holiday pecan cheese ball is filled with smoked gouda, dried cranberries and rosemary, and is perfect for entertaining!
I’m not sure why I waited so long to fall in love with cheese balls. Maybe it’s because they often play more of a supporting role at parties, and get lost amongst other more flashier or glamorous dishes.
But now I know the truth. Now I know that hidden amongst a pile of crackers, and behind the punch bowl, is where I can find my most favorite party appetizer— the flavorful and addictive cheese ball.
When it comes to cheese balls, homemade is the only way to go. Skip the pre-made cheese ball from the deli counter, and instead make your own. They are super simple to assemble, and the taste is monumentally better.
This particular cheese ball is my newest creation, inspired by my favorite chicken salad sandwich recipe, as odd as that sounds. I love the sweet and savory combination of shallots, rosemary and dried cranberries with the cheeses and pecans.
Whether you’re relaxing with loved ones on Christmas day, or ringing in the new year, do it with a cheese ball! You won’t be sorry.
Pecan and Gouda Cheese Ball with Cranberries and Rosemary
- 2 packages cream cheese , at room temperature (1 lb, 455 grams)
- 8 ounces gouda cheese , shredded (about 2 cups, 226 grams)
- 1 small shallot , finely chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries , roughly chopped (28 grams)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary , chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans (110 grams)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a bowl with a hand-held mixer, combine the cream cheese, gouda, shallot, cranberries, rosemary, lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Divide the mixture in half and shape into two balls. Place the pecans in a shallow bowl and roll the cheese balls in the pecans until they're coated. Let harden in the fridge for 2 hours before serving. Cheese balls will keep in the fridge for a few days.