This extra-large peanut butter chocolate chip cookie is a fun treat for one or more!
It’s here! I shared this GIANT peanut butter chocolate chip cookie in my instagram stories a few weeks ago and you guys have been clamoring for the recipe ever since. It took me a few tries to get it right (small batch recipes can often be a little tricky), but I landed on a real winner. This cookie is crisp on the outside, a little soft and chewy on the inside, and filled with lots of peanut butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
This is the cookie to bake for a movie night in, best enjoyed in your pjs with a tall glass of milk— or glass of wine. It’s also the treat you should bake when you and the kiddos need a quick cookie fix. And it would be such a fun sweet ending to a picnic in the park or at the beach.
It equals about 4 regular sized cookies so it’s perfect for sharing, but there’s absolutely no shame in enjoying it all by yourself. I won’t tell.
baking tip:Why I only bake with unsalted butter
Most baking recipes call for unsalted butter instead of salted because the amount of salt in salted butter varies from brand to brand, and there’s no way to really know how much salt you’re getting in a stick. So if you’re following a typical recipe that calls for both salt and butter, and you choose to use salted butter, you could be adding quite a bit more salt via the butter than the recipe requires.
To give myself full control over the amount of salt in my baking, I only buy and use unsalted butter. But if all you have is salted butter, can you substitute it in a recipe? In a pinch, yes. Reduce the amount of salt called for by half, and if possible, taste and adjust as necessary.
Watch the video
Shop tools for this recipe
(affiliate links below)
One Giant Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (42 grams), melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (34 grams)
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar (53 grams)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (60 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (57-85 grams), per your preference
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the melted butter, peanut butter and brown sugar with a spoon (or spatula). Mixture will be grainy.
- Add egg yolk and beat with spoon by hand for about 60 seconds. Mixture should lighten in color and texture.
- Stir in vanilla extract
- Add four, baking soda, and salt and mix until combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Shape cookie dough into a large ball and place on the prepared sheet pan. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake until edges are dark golden brown and center has just started to turn brown, 16-19 minutes.
- Let cool on the sheet pan for a few minutes, then serve warm or let cool completely on a wire rack.