Grilled Squash, Corn and Kale Salad
Light and fresh, this grilled squash, corn and kale salad with creamy sunflower seed dressing is both delicious and swimsuit season friendly!
As much as I talk about living off of ice cream this time of year, the truth is that it’s simply not true. Because I also spend a whole lot of the summer in a swimsuit. And the two just don’t mix well.
Thankfully summer produce is so abundant and fabulous, that I don’t even mind binging on vegetables in between my bowls of ice cream. In fact, I love it. And this salad? All the heart eyes.
I haven’t been able to stop thinking about this salad ever since I saw it in a Food and Wine magazine last month. It’s got so many things that I love— zucchini, yellow squash, and corn charred on the grill and tossed with kale and fresh dill.
The creamy sunflower seed dressing sounded so unique and complex, and it did not disappoint. The recipe makes a ton and we’ve been enjoying the leftovers with everything from grilled chicken to crusty bread. It’s so good.
This salad makes an excellent side dish just as it is, but add some steak or chicken, and a grain like quinoa or farro and you’ll have yourself one heck of a delicious main course.
I’m adding it to our regular summer rotation, and you probably should too.
Grilled Squash, Corn, and Kale Salad
For the sunflower dressing:
- ⅓ cup toasted shelled sunflower seeds , see Note
- ½ shallot , roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic , roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt , plus more to taste
- ⅓ cup olive oil
For the salad:
- 2 yellow squash , quartered lengthwise
- 2 zucchini squash , quartered lengthwise
- 2 ears corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups kale , roughly chopped (I used baby kale)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
To make the dressing:
- Add the sunflower seeds, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, yogurt, water, dill and salt to a food processor and pulse until just slightly chunky. With the processor running, add the olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
To assemble the salad:
- Drizzle the yellow squash, zucchini squash, and corn with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a grill over medium heat and cook until lightly charred on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and let cool slightly. Roughly chop the squash and cut the corn kernels from the cob.
- In a large bowl toss together the grilled squash, corn, kale, and some of the sunflower seed dressing. Top with the dill and sunflower seeds. Serve with additional dressing on the side. Store any leftovers in the fridge.