Grilled Chicken Quinoa Bowls
A one-bowl wonder of quinoa, grilled chicken and corn, red peppers, pine nuts, basil and provolone cheese. It’s as perfect for a weeknight meal as it is served at a summer barbecue potluck.
Recipe developed in partnership with Wisconsin Cheese.
We all remember the first time we had quinoa right? And the first time we learned how to say it? “Oh, so it’s not quinn-oh-ah?” Oops.
It wasn’t that long ago, at least for me.
And now it’s a part of my regular diet, and maybe yours too. I love how versatile it is, that it’s great both cold and hot, and that it goes with just about everything.
Quinoa bowls are one of my favorite weeknight meals. You can just throw whatever you happen to have in the fridge— meat, veggies, cheese and herbs— together with some quinoa and call it dinner.
I love the mixture of grilled ingredients and fresh ingredients in this recipe. The grilled corn is smoky and tender, but the red pepper is bright and has a nice crunch. So many other veggies, like tomatoes and zucchini, would be a lovely addition so feel free to get creative. The chicken can also easily be left out for a vegetarian option.
These quinoa bowls are perfect for whatever you need them to be— easy dinner, side dish, or hearty lunch. It would also be wonderful for a backyard barbecue.
Grilled Chicken Quinoa Bowls
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (I used rainbow quinoa)
- 2 ½ teaspoon salt , divided
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ears corn on the cob
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts , toasted
- ½ cup grated provolone cheese
- 1 small bunch basil , chopped
- Warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add the quinoa and 1 teaspoon of the salt and stir until combined. Add the chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 more minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Season chicken breasts with 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Cook on a grill preheated to medium high until internal temperature reaches 160°F, about 12-17 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Remove from grill and let cool slightly. Slice into ½ inch strips.
- While the chicken is cooking, brush the corn cobs with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- Place on the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes, rotating every few minutes. Remove from grill and use a knife to remove corn kernels from the cob.
- To assemble the salad, in a large bowl combine the quinoa, chicken, corn, red pepper, pine nuts, half of the cheese and half of the basil. Garnish with remaining cheese and basil. Serve warm or cold.
Disclosure: This recipe was developed in partnership with Wisconsin Cheese in exchange for compensation. All opinions are my own, as always. Thank you for supporting partnerships with brands I support.