It’s been a family favorite for years, and I’m tired of keeping it to myself! Here’s the best potato salad recipe you’re ever going to find.
This potato salad is my number one most requested recipe from friends and family during the summer months and it is understood that I bring it to every barbecue all season long.
It’s very lovingly borrowed from Molly Wizenburg and over the years I’ve made it my own. It’s simple and humble, and definitely not the healthiest potato salad you may find. But it’s so darn good! I look forward to summer just so I can make a batch every weekend.
What’s in this best ever potato salad?
- Gold potatoes— You absolutely MUST use gold potatoes! They are the creamiest and no other potato variety will work the same. Follow the recipe below to make sure the potatoes are cooked to their best.
- Hard boiled eggs
- Scallions/Green onions
- Fresh dill— Look for little packages in the produce section of your grocery store. If you can’t find it, dried dill will work in a pinch, but fresh dill will lend the best flavor.
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Mayonnaise— I like Best Foods brand. Can you use low-fat mayo, miracle whip, plain greek yogurt, etc.? Maybe, but results won’t be the same.
- Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing— You might think I’m crazy for using bottle ranch dressing, but it adds a “certain something” to this salad that you’ll definitely miss if you leave it out. I keep a bottle in the fridge strictly for this salad!
How to make potato salad ahead of time
This potato salad actually benefits from a good chill in the fridge before serving. I usually make it anywhere from 4-8 hours before I plan to serve it. Giving the salad a chance to rest let’s the potatoes absorb some of the dressing, and all of the flavors get a chance to blend together.
How long will this potato salad keep?
Potato salads should last in the fridge for about 5 days. Keep in mind that it requires refrigeration and if it sits too long on the buffet table (2 hours or more), you might want to discard the leftovers (if there are any!).
Shop tools for this recipe
This recipe was originally published July 2014.
The Best Potato Salad
- 2 lbs gold potatoes cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 4 scallions chopped
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise preferably Best Foods brand
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing preferably Hidden Valley Ranch Brand
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place chopped potatoes in a pot of cold water and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and let cool for about 30 minutes, until room temperature.
- Place eggs in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 12 minutes exactly.
- Drain hot water and fill pot with cold water. Let eggs cool to room temperature. Peel shells and cut into large chunks.
- Combine the potatoes, eggs, scallions, and parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the mayo, ranch dressing, dill, salt and pepper. Pour over the potato mixture and mix until combined.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.