Make the most of summer with this grilled chicken and veggie panzanella salad!
This is my new favorite simple but satisfying summer meal and one I’ve made several times for both lunch and dinner in just the last few weeks. It’s filled with chicken, veggies like red onion, zucchini and bell peppers, and crusty bread all charred on the grill and tossed together with a simple dressing of olive oil, vinegar and fresh herbs.
Can summer last forever, please? I’d like this on repeat indefinitely.
A few notes about this recipe
- Feel free to use any vegetables you like! Summer squash, eggplant, mushrooms, etc. You can also substitute the chicken for other protein like steak or shrimp, or leave it out completely for a vegetarian option.
- Watch the bread on the grill like a hawk. It only needs about 20-30 seconds on each side and can burn very quickly.
- If you have a grill basket, that will help a lot to grill the veggies and bread. If not, some heavy duty foil placed directly on the grill will work instead. You can also keep the veggies in larger pieces for grilling and then slice them smaller later, to keep them from falling through the grill plates.
- This salad is good warm, but even better at room temperature!
Grilled Bread Salad with Chicken Breast and Summer Vegetables
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced in large chunks
- 1 small red onion, sliced in large chunks
- 2 medium zucchini squash, sliced in large chunks
- 1 small loaf of artisan bread, torn into large chunks (about 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to medium. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and grill until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes on each side (will vary based on size of chicken breasts). Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Slice into large chunks.
- Toss sliced red pepper, red onion, and zucchini with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper. Using a grill basket or similar device to keep vegetables from falling through the cracks, cook on grill until charred and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Toss torn bread with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and grill until bread just begins to char, about 30-40 seconds per side. Do not burn. Remove from heat.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, chives and basil. Toss the chicken, vegetables and bread with the dressing. Serve with more fresh chives or basil leaves for garnish, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe?
Tools for this recipe
(Contains affiliate links)
Some of my blogging friends and I are taking on the challenge to eat seasonally. Check out what’s in season this month and join us, won’t you?
Healthy Turkey, Zucchini & Rice Casserole by Cookin’ Canuck
Caramelized Onion Galette by The Vintage Mixer
Roasted Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream with Graham Cracker Waffle Cones by Food for My Family
Italian Plum Upsidedown Cake by Suitcase Foodist
Coconut Cherry Cobbler by Kitchen Confidante
Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Zucchini Boats by Flavor the Moments
Healthy Berry Crisp with a Coconut Oat Crumb Topping by Joy Food Sunshine
Zucchini, Cherry Tomato, and Gorgonzola Bites by Letty’s Kitchen