Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Panzanella Salad
Make the most of summer with this grilled chicken and veggie panzanella salad!
This is my new favorite simple but satisfying summer meal and one I’ve made several times for both lunch and dinner in just the last few weeks. It’s filled with chicken, veggies like red onion, zucchini and bell peppers, and crusty bread all charred on the grill and tossed together with a simple dressing of olive oil, vinegar and fresh herbs.
Can summer last forever, please? I’d like this on repeat indefinitely.
A few notes about this recipe
- Feel free to use any vegetables you like! Summer squash, eggplant, mushrooms, etc. You can also substitute the chicken for other protein like steak or shrimp, or leave it out completely for a vegetarian option.
- Watch the bread on the grill like a hawk. It only needs about 20-30 seconds on each side and can burn very quickly.
- If you have a grill basket, that will help a lot to grill the veggies and bread. If not, some heavy duty foil placed directly on the grill will work instead. You can also keep the veggies in larger pieces for grilling and then slice them smaller later, to keep them from falling through the grill plates.
- This salad is good warm, but even better at room temperature!
Grilled Bread Salad with Chicken Breast and Summer Vegetables
A summery salad of grilled bread, chicken and vegetables. Perfect for a light dinner or lunch.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 red bell peppers , sliced in large chunks
- 1 small red onion , sliced in large chunks
- 2 medium zucchini squash , sliced in large chunks
- 1 small loaf of artisan bread , torn into large chunks (about 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to medium. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and grill until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes on each side (will vary based on size of chicken breasts). Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Slice into large chunks.
- Toss sliced red pepper, red onion, and zucchini with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper. Using a grill basket or similar device to keep vegetables from falling through the cracks, cook on grill until charred and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Toss torn bread with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and grill until bread just begins to char, about 30-40 seconds per side. Do not burn. Remove from heat.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, chives and basil. Toss the chicken, vegetables and bread with the dressing. Serve with more fresh chives or basil leaves for garnish, if desired.
Adapted from Bon Appetit.
Calories: 619kcal, Carbohydrates: 66g, Protein: 38g, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 72mg, Sodium: 656mg, Potassium: 968mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 2093IU, Vitamin C: 97mg, Calcium: 76mg, Iron: 5mg
Have you tried this recipe?I’d love to hear about it! Leave a review below or take a photo and tag it on Instagram @completelydelicious with #completelydelicious.
Tools for this recipe
(Contains affiliate links)
8 Comments on “Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Panzanella Salad”
I could never ever ever eat my meals in a hurry. Everyday, when lunchtime comes, I need to sit down and enjoy my meal slowly. But this doesn’t mean I always have plenty of time to spend cooking, so I love easy and quick meals like this one, ready in no time but still yummy and satisfying! Plus, you combined some of my favorite foods: bread, chicken and zucchini, what else could I ask for?!
This looks like a great meal to share, and it’s so simple and straightforward! Perfect when you’re feeding lots of people on little time.
Bravissima, Annalise! I love panzanella salads. They’re so easy to make and you get to enjoy a wide variety of summer vegetables in one dish. I think some fresh mozzarella or burrata would be great with this too. Hugs from TX! 🙂 xo
Ooooh burrata. Why didn’t I think of that?! Yes, that does sound incredible. Thank you, Flavia! 🙂
Panzanellas and grilled vegetables are the way to my heart, so I’m loving this dish! I could absolutely eat it every day!
Panzanella salads rock! Your variation looks delicious!
I can’t get over the idea of making a panzanella salad on the grill. LOVE it! I’ll bet it adds all kinds of smoky charred goodness.
This is so fun!! I can’t wait to try this foodle