Coconut Rice Veggie Bowls
This coconut rice topped with lots of veggies, herbs, and a savory soy-lime dressing is perfect for lunches or as dinner side dish!
Meal prepping for lunches to ENJOY throughout the week is my new favorite thing. I’m sick of standing in front of an open fridge at 2pm, starving, trying to find something to eat, only to settle on something really sad. Like toast. Or a handful of cookies.
But no more sad lunches from here on out!
My current go-to is grain bowls topped with lots of good stuff, and these coconut rice and veggie bowls are hitting all the right notes. They’re loaded up with tons of fresh veggies like asparagus, broccoli, and avocado, and they have so much flavor thanks to fresh herbs and a dressing made from ginger, red pepper flakes, lime juice, and soy sauce. There’s a lot going on, but the whole thing comes together simply and then I have lunches for the rest of the week.
Feel free to enjoy these coconut rice veggie bowls for lunch or dinner, plus read on for suggestions on how to change the recipe up to make it your own.
Make it your own!
- This recipe will work with almost any veggie— asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans, etc. Use what you like or what you have on hand.
- Add cooked chicken, steak, tofu or a fried egg if veggies aren’t enough for you.
- Feel free to swap the jasmine rice for whichever grain you prefer. Brown rice, quinoa, and farro are all great options. Just note that cooking methods will vary based on the grain and you may need to make some adjustments to the recipe below.
- Use fresh mint, basil, cilantro or any combination for lots of fresh flavor.
- Spice it up! Add more red pepper flakes to the dressing and/or top with sriracha before serving.
Shop tools for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)
Coconut Veggie Rice Bowls
Veggie rice bowls:
- 1 cup jasmine rice (200 grams)
- 1 1/4 cup canned light coconut milk (310 ml)
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 4 cups chopped veggies (approximately 500 grams), see Note
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 3 green onions , chopped
- 1 small avocado , sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs like mint, basil or cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine the rice and coconut milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit (still covered) for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Heat coconut or olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add veggies and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until veggies are fork tender and slightly browned (cooking times will vary based on veggie you use).
- Add green onions and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- To serve, spoon rice and veggies into bowls. Add avocado, herbs, and sesame seeds. Drizzle with dressing.
- Almost any vegetable will work for this recipe— asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans, etc. For even cooking, chop veggies to roughly the same size.