Chewy Almond Raspberry Cookies
Chewy almond cookies filled with raspberry jam. A classic combination of flavors!
This time of year it seems that cookie recipes are everywhere. And I want to bake them all.
I really should start my holiday baking in October so I have time to try all the recipes I bookmark, because there just isn’t enough time in December. Between getting the tree and decorations up, shopping for gifts, sending out packages, and trying to stay sane through it all, I’m lucky if I’m able to try more than a few new recipes.
The December issue of Bon Appetit came and sure enough, there was a section dedicated to cookie recipes. They all looked amazing, but one particular recipe caught my eye, and I put these Chewy Almond Raspberry Cookies at the top of my “must bake” list for the season.
The ingredients for these cookies are simple enough— just almond paste, sugar, egg whites, almonds, and some cinnamon. They’re fairly simple to throw together, but can be a little messy to pipe out and transfer to the baking sheet. Thankfully, these cookies don’t need to look perfect. It’s part of their charm.
I almost didn’t sandwich them with raspberry jam, as they are scrumptious enough on their own. They’re chock full of almonds and almond flavor. But then I sampled one with the jam and knew why they were paired, the match was even more scrumptious.
These cookies will be a delicious addition to your probably already long list of baked goods for the holiday season, whether you decide to give them away or keep them all to yourself. I won’t judge you either way.
Chewy Almond Raspberry Cookies
- 7 ounces almond paste recipe below, or use store-bought (1 tube)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 ½-3 cups sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 ¾ cup almonds
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
To make the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper. Place the sliced almonds in a third unlined sheet pan and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the almond paste, sugar, cinnamon, and egg whites until smooth. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a medium plain tip and pipe into 2 inch strips onto the almonds in the sheet pan. Use your hand to cover the tops of each with more almonds.
- Use a small offset spatula and carefully move each cookie strip onto the lined sheet pans (The dough is soft and sticky, so be gentle. If it gets smooshed too much, just smooth it back out. The almonds are great at covering up imperfections).
- Bake until lightly golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar and sandwich together with the strawberry jam.
To make the almond paste:
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients until smooth. Continue with recipe above.
8 Comments on “Chewy Almond Raspberry Cookies”
…a cookie after my own heart 🙂 All of my favorite ingredients in this one. These sound delicious!
I saw that also on Bon appétit this year and that's one of the recipe I wanted to do! Thanks for making it, I'll make mine soon!
Love that raspberry filling spilling out the side of these cookies. They look absolutely incredible, Annalise, and so full of flavor. I'm with you on the holiday baking – I haven't really even started yet, since my husband isn't a big sweets guy and I can only give so many packages to friends! Ah, well. Thanks for sharing these cookies. They're marvelous, and so are you!
Almond is one of my favorite flavors in the world. these look so delicious and elegant, I can totally see them as part of a dessert spread after christmas dinner! They look really fun to make too… especially because I think they are not meant to be perfectly shaped – one of those cookies that are better if they are a bit imperfect.
wow these look amazing and love the hot chocolate mouse in the tea cups so cute Rebecca
Those look pretty perfect to me, lady! I'm loving the jam sandwich effect 😉 When I was a kid these would've had me running for the hills, thanks to a certain almond allergy, but now that I'm older and appear to have grown out of it my only question is this: will you send me some in the post? 😛
That is incredibly unique! Almonds and raspberries are the perfect combination to me. Happy holidays!
Raspberries and almonds are a wonderful combination! These cookies are making me drool. It's such a nice change from all the peppermint, chocoate and gingerbread cookies always seena round this time!