This fresh and flavorful salad is made with shredded Brussels sprouts, baby arugula, feta cheese, hazelnuts and pomegranate.
As much as Thanksgiving is all about the turkey, gravy, and mashed potatoes, I really love adding a tossed green salad to the mix. It’s such a nice fresh contrast to the heaviness of the rest of the meal, and fall is such a great time for salads!
This salad’s got so much going for it— with a satisfying crunch from the shredded Brussels sprouts, a little kick from the arugula, creamy feta cheese, more crunch from toasted hazelnuts, and a pop of flavor and color from pomegranate arils. Whether you make this for Thanksgiving, or as a side dish for any night of the week, I know you’ll love it!
What’s in this salad
- Brussels sprouts— I love raw Brussels sprouts in salads and this one has plenty! You can easily shred them in a food processor, or slice by hand.
- Baby arugula— Arugula is an obvious choice to bulk up the greens. Great peppery flavor and crisp texture.
- Feta cheese— The creamy sharp flavor of feta cheese is great in this salad. Goat cheese would be wonderful too.
- Hazelnuts— Be sure to lightly toast the hazelnuts before adding them to the salad. You can do that in a dry skillet over medium heat on the stove top, or on a sheet pan in a 350º oven.
- Pomegranate— This was a complete last-minute addition to the salad and it worked so well! Dried cherries or cranberries would also provide a bright punch of color and flavor.
- Honey mustard vinaigrette— This dressing is made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey and salt and pepper. It’s simple but perfect in this salad! Plus it’s a cinch, just add all ingredients to a jar with a lid, and shake.
Shop tools for this recipe
Brussels Sprouts and Arugula Salad
Honey mustard vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 4 packed cups baby arugula
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup toasted hazelnuts , roughly chopped
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- To make the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a small jar. Secure lid and shake until combined. Vinaigrette will separate as it sits, simply shake to bring it all back together.
- To make the salad, cut ends off Brussels sprouts and remove any damaged leaves. Shred Brussels sprouts in a food process. Alternately, finely slice by hand: cut Brussels sprouts in half, place cut side-down and finely slice with a sharp knife.
- Toss shredded Brussels sprouts and arugula with the dressing (you may not need all of the dressing). Add feta, hazelnuts and pomegranate and toss again.
- Serve immediately. Store any leftover dressing in the fridge.