Who can resist a skillet cookie made with brown butter, oats and cinnamon, topped with vanilla ice cream and a homemade butterscotch sauce?
I first dreamed up this brown butter skillet cookie several years ago, fell head over heels in love, shared the recipe with you, and then forgot all about it as it got buried in my recipe archives. Such a shame! Because it really is dynamite incredible. So after stumbling across it agiain I decided to refresh my memory— and maybe yours too— and give the post a little face lift with updated photos and easier recipe instructions.
But I kept the basic recipe the same. The cookie is still flavored with lots of brown butter and brown sugar, gets a little heartiness from rolled oats, and has a nice warm autumn-y feel thanks to its cinnamon sugar topping. I left the butterscotch sauce alone, because it didn’t need any improvement (it’s the bomb), and a scoop of vanilla ice cream ties the whole thing together.
And just like that I’ve fallen all over in love again.
Brown Butter Skillet Cookie with Butterscotch Sauce
For the cookie:
- ½ cup butter (113 grams)
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar , divided (175 grams)
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour (154 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats (50 grams)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the butterscotch sauce:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (57 grams)
- ½ cup brown sugar (100 grams)
- ½ cup heavy cream (125 ml)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon bourbon , optional
To make the cookie:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt the butter in an 8 or 9-inch skillet, preferable cast iron. Continue to cook butter over low heat until it turns a golden brown color. Do not let it burn.
- Remove from heat and cool for until skillet is no longer hot to the touch. Brush the butter up the sides of the pan so that the whole skillet is greased.
- Add ¾ cup of the brown sugar and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and beat vigorously for 1 minute. Let mixture site for 3 minutes, then beat for 1 minute more. Mixture should turn a pale brown color.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and oats. Add to the skillet and mix until a sticky dough forms. Spread the dough evenly inside the skillet. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the dough.
- Bake until golden brown and center is still slightly soft, 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely.
To make the sauce:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Continue to cook the butter until it turns golden brown. Add the sugar and cream and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the salt, vanilla, and bourbon.
- To serve, top slices of the skillet cookie with a scoop of ice cream and a spoonful of butterscotch sauce. Serve both the skillet cookie and sauce either warm or at room temperature.
Recipe originally posted in August 2012. Photos and recipe updated in October 2015.