Apple Cider Old-Fashioned Cocktail
This apple cider old-fashioned is the classic cocktail with a fun fall twist!
My husband and I love bourbon whiskey and so old fashioned cocktails are a staple in our house. The classic cocktail is simple— first you muddle sugar and bitters together, then you add bourbon or rye whiskey and finish it off with a twist of citrus.
For this fall variation, I’ve added real apple cider and used brown sugar for a hint of caramel flavor. It’s the perfect sipping drink on a crisp fall day!
Table of Contents
- Ingredients you’ll need
- How to make this old-fashioned cocktail
- More fall and winter cocktails you’ll love
- Apple Cider Old-Fashioned Cocktail recipe
Ingredients you’ll need
Here’s everything needed to make an apple cider old fashioned cocktail (full recipe below):
- Quality apple cider or juice— look for it in the refrigerated section at your grocery store, or buy directly from a local orchard
- Bourbon whiskey
- Angostura bitters
- Light or dark brown sugar
While not completely necessary, these garnishes complete the cocktail. Choose one or several!
- Orange twist or slice
- Apple slices
- Cinnamon stick
- Luxardo cherries
How to make this old-fashioned cocktail
- Combine apple cider, brown sugar and bitters. Stir together in a lowball glass until sugar is dissolved.
- Add ice and bourbon.
- Top with garnishes. An orange twist is the signature garnish for an old-fashioned cocktail, but apple slices, cinnamon stick and/or a cherry are a great way to add a fall twist.
- Serve. Enjoy this cocktail immediately!
More fall and winter cocktails you’ll love
This recipe was originally published October 2013.
Apple Cider Old-Fashioned Cocktail recipe
Apple Cider Old Fashioned Cocktail
- 2 ounces quality apple cider or juice
- Dash of angostura bitters
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- Ice , for serving
- Orange slice or twist
- Apple slice(s)
- Luxardo maraschino cherries
- Cinnamon stick
- In a lowball glass, combine the apple juice, bitters, and sugar. Swirl glass around until mixture is combined and sugar is dissolved.
- Add the ice and whiskey.
- Top with garnishes as desired. Serve immediately.