This baked acorn squash with caramelized sage-cream sauce is the perfect comforting side dish to any fall or winter meal.
After unintentionally giving acorn squash the cold shoulder the last few seasons, I decided to make amends. So I picked some up on our last visit to the local farmers market before it closed up for the winter.
And like it was meant to be, that afternoon I stumbled upon this perfect recipe for acorn squash while searching through Martha’s American Food for something completely unrelated.
We’ve enjoyed this roasted acorn squash on several occasions now and I can’t get enough. Each week I have to pick up a few more at the market to satisfy my craving.
Broiling the squash for a few minutes before serving takes this dish from good to great. The sage-cream sauce caramelizes around the edges and the whole thing takes on a sweet and smoky flavor. But my favorite part is the little puddles of sauce in the bottoms of every squash half, perfect for dipping each bite into.
This acorn squash makes the most wonderful and healthy side to just about anything— chicken, pork and the like— and I’m trying to find a way to get it on our Thanksgiving table. You should probably do the same.
Acorn Squash with Sage-Cream Sauce
- 2 medium acorn squash , cut in half and seeds removed
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage , chopped
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cloves of garlic , halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place squash halves in a 9x13-inch baking dish cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and chopped sage. Pour the chicken or vegetable stock into the baking dish and scatter garlic pieces around the squash. Cover with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove squash from oven and place top rack about 8 inches from broiler. Preheat broiler on high.
- Transfer garlic to a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of the liquid from the baking dish. Pour over the acorn squash . Broil until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately.