Roasted Acorn Squash with Sage-Cream Sauce
This roasted acorn squash with sage cream sauce is the perfect comforting side dish to any fall or winter meal.
You’ve likely never had acorn squash like this— roasted till tender and then topped with a caramelized creamy sauce flavored with sage and garlic. It’s unexpected and extremely delicious! Acorn squash has a sweet and nutty flavor, and it pairs so well with the sauce.
This roasted acorn squash with sage cream sauce is a wonderful and healthy side for just about anything— chicken, pork, etc— and I’m trying to find a way to get it on our Thanksgiving table. You should probably do the same.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Acorn squash
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Heavy cream
- Fresh sage
- Garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Roasted Acorn Squash with Sage Cream Sauce
1. Prepare acorn squash. Slice acorn squashes in half and scoop out seed pocket. Place cut side-up in a greased baking dish and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
2. Add broth, sage and garlic. Pour broth into the baking dish and add whole garlic cloves. Top acorn squash with sage leaves.
3. Bake. Cover baking dish with foil and bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork.
4. Make cream sauce. Remove baking dish from the oven, transfer garlic to a small bowl and mash with a fork (or use a mincer). Add cream and 2 tablespoons of broth from baking dish and stir to combine. Pour over roasted squash, letting it pool in the centers.
5. Broil. Place baking dish under the broiler and cook for 3-4 minutes until sauce caramelizes. Watch it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
6. Serve. Serve immediately.
More Seasonal Side Dishes
If you like this roasted acorn squash recipe, you should try these other vegetable dishes!
- Brussels Sprouts and Mushroom Casserole
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Maple Pecan Sauce
- Twice-Baked Spaghetti Squash and Cheese
Shop Tools for this Recipe
This recipe was originally published November 2014.
Acorn Squash with Sage-Cream Sauce
- 2 medium acorn squash , cut in half and seeds removed
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage , chopped
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place squash halves in a 9x13-inch baking dish cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and chopped sage. Pour the chicken or vegetable stock into the baking dish and scatter garlic around the squash. Cover with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove squash from oven and place top rack about 8 inches from broiler. Preheat broiler on high.
- Transfer garlic to a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of the liquid from the baking dish. Pour over the acorn squash . Broil until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately.