These peanut butter blossom cookies were an absolute, no-doubt-about-it, pregnancy craving. Ever since my Mom mentioned making them last week I couldn’t stop thinking about them. I wanted these cookies, I needed these cookies. I would go crazy if I didn’t have them.
And so I made some. It’s probably been ten years since the last time I had a peanut butter blossom and they tasted just the way I remembered. There’s nothing fancy about them, just a peanut butter cookie with a Hershey’s kiss in the middle. But sometimes old standby recipes are exactly what hits the spot.
Up until now my pregnancy has been relatively easy and I’ve considered myself very lucky. But now that I’m entering my third trimester I’m starting to feel it. My back hurts. I’m tired. I’m emotional. My back hurts. And… did I mention my back hurts? Ouch.
I’ve been self-medicating with a few doses of Tylenol, nightly baths, and chocolate. While I’ve come to love taking baths, I think it’s the chocolate that’s helping the most. I’m already gaining thirty pounds, what’s a few more? My newly adopted motto is to live it up while I can.
And so I gave in to the craving and baked these cookies just for me and ate nearly the whole batch by myself in two days. It felt so right.
I have done nothing to alter the recipe here, these cookies are exactly the ones we’ve been enjoying at potlucks and on holiday cookie plates for years. If you’ve got a hankering for peanut butter and chocolate, or need a big sugary hug, these cookies are just the thing.
I think I just talked myself into baking another batch tonight.
- ½ cup (113 grams) butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (185 grams) peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
- ⅓ cup (75 grams) brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) salt
- 48 Hershey’s kisses, unwrapped
- About ⅓ cup (75 grams) sugar, for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat together on medium high speed until light and creamy, about 4-5 minutes, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. Roll dough by the tablespoon into a ball and roll the ball in sugar until it is coated completely. Place on the prepared sheet pan about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until cookies are beginning to crack on the surface and the bottoms just begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Immediately after removing cookies from the oven, place a Hershey’s kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing it down gently. Let sit on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.