Can I be honest here for a minute? I usually don’t get into too many personal things on this blog because I feel it gets in the way of the real reason I’m here. But you know what? I like you guys and I feel like I can call you my friends, even though we’ve never met. And I feel like if I’ve had a bad day, I can tell you about it and doing so will help me feel better.

I’ve been having a string of bad days the last little while, actually. Nothing major and nothing a little time won’t heal, but sometimes it’s just hard to shake the blues, you know?

The horrible consequence of all of this is that I’ve lost my blogging mojo. I bake. I take photographs. I eat all of the stuff I baked. And then that’s it. The photos sit on my hard drive and my recipe notes remain on random post-its scattered throughout the kitchen.

I baked these blondies weeks ago and absolutely loved them. I really wanted to share them with you (and everything else I’ve baked since then), but every time I sat down at my computer my mind went blank. I’d get frustrated with myself, and end up watching some mind numbing television instead.

But I can’t go on like this any longer. It’s time I get over whatever funk I’ve gotten myself into and share these with you.

Every bad day can be brightened with something sweet. And these were more than a delight to bake and eat. They may look more like brownies than blondies, but the dark color comes from the molasses and abundance of spices. Think of your favorite soft molasses cookie in a bar and with white chocolate chips. That may not sound earth shattering, but I tell ya, they’re addictive.

How can a few simple ingredients create something so wonderful? I’m not sure. But sometimes keeping things simple and uncomplicated is best.

Spiced White Chocolate Blondies

1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
10 ounces white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and the sugars on high speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and yolk one at a time, mixing after each. Beat in the vanilla and molasses.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and mix until just combined. Add the white chocolate chips.

Spread into the prepared baking dish and bake until edges are set and pulling away from the pan, about 30-35 minutes. The middle will not be completely set. Allow the blondies to cool completely in the pan before slicing.

Print this recipe

19 Responses to Spiced White Chocolate Blondies

1. Heather says:

Hi Annalise, I hope you get over your funk soon! I can't wait to see what you've baked up.

2. Stephane Rose says:

These look fabulous and I feel the same way sometimes, but you just have to write to break free. Keep it coming; it's always a joy to read!

3. Priya says:

Soo pretty and irresistible blondies..

4. sandrine says:

They look beautiful ! Thanks for sharing your bad days…

5. Julie says:

Don't worry, we all have times like that. Hopefully some lovely spring weather has arrived, it will help lift your spirits!

6. Becky at VintageMixer says:

Glad you enjoyed them! Your pictures look lovely. Lets go for a walk soon.

7. Becky at VintageMixer says:

PS.. I think its the grey skies and the wintry weather that's lingering. I hope you have surprisingly good day today.

8. Jennifurla says:

Glad to hear that you got up and posted, we can all get sucked into slight depressions sometimes. I hope you keep it up! Hugs.

9. Amanda says:

I'm sorry you've had some bad days and funky weeks, but the truth is we all feel that way sometimes! Be comforted: I have just stumbled upon your blog, and I love it. I love your recipes. I love you! Be my new friend? :)

10. Erika Beth, the Messy Chef says:

I'm glad you got out of your "funk" to share these. They look delicious. I think we all go through periods of less blogging, and it's perfectly ok. :)

11. Kelsey at Happyolks says:

I hate those little pot-holes we all fall into sometimes. Try as we might, the "funk" just lingers. You're not alone, my friend! I'll send you lots of good ju ju (mother-daugther lingo for good energy) in hopes that you feel like yourself again when the time is right. Your blondies are gorgeous, and I'm happy Tastespotting showed you some love so I could find you! :) :)

12. Kelsey at Happyolks says:

13. Kelsey at Happyolks says:

14. Kelsey at Happyolks says:

15. Kelsey at Happyolks says:

16. Cristina says:

Hi! This is Cristina from Spain. I have also been learning recipes and practising. I just ran into your blog and find it very interesting. But one thing above all: I think your photographs are great!! Love them!!

17. Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking says:

Annalise, I know exactly what you mean about the funk. I'm wrestling myself out of one right now after being away from cooking, baking and blogging for a week. It's tough, but you'll get back your mojo soon. You're an awesome baker (as these amazing blondies prove) and everyone, myself included, is always looking forward to seeing what's next from you. Keep at it, girl! You're a superstar with a sweet tooth! :D

18. Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum says:

These look similar to some snickerdoodle blondies I've made (and seen around on other blogs). I never knew how good simple butter, sugar, and flour could be until my introduction to all these blondie variations! Yours look absolutely beautiful.

19. Jamie says:

I think any recipe that calls for more than a cup of butter can fix any bad day blues. This is a great recipe, thanks for sharing =]