Bars filled with white chocolate chips and scented with warm spices like cinnamon, cloves, and ginger.
Can I be honest here for a minute? I usually don’t get into too many personal things on this blog because I feel it gets in the way of the real reason I’m here. But you know what? I like you guys and I feel like I can call you my friends, even though we’ve never met. And I feel like if I’ve had a bad day, I can tell you about it and doing so will help me feel better.
I’ve been having a string of bad days the last little while, actually. Nothing major and nothing a little time won’t heal, but sometimes it’s just hard to shake the blues, you know?
The horrible consequence of all of this is that I’ve lost my blogging mojo. I bake. I take photographs. I eat all of the stuff I baked. And then that’s it. The photos sit on my hard drive and my recipe notes remain on random post-its scattered throughout the kitchen.
I baked these blondies weeks ago and absolutely loved them. I really wanted to share them with you (and everything else I’ve baked since then), but every time I sat down at my computer my mind went blank. I’d get frustrated with myself, and end up watching some mind numbing television instead.
But I can’t go on like this any longer. It’s time I get over whatever funk I’ve gotten myself into and share these with you.
Every bad day can be brightened with something sweet. And these were more than a delight to bake and eat. They may look more like brownies than blondies, but the dark color comes from the molasses and abundance of spices. Think of your favorite soft molasses cookie in a bar and with white chocolate chips. That may not sound earth shattering, but I tell ya, they’re addictive.
How can a few simple ingredients create something so wonderful? I’m not sure. But sometimes keeping things simple and uncomplicated is best.
Spiced White Chocolate Blondies
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 10 ounces white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and the sugars on high speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and yolk one at a time, mixing after each. Beat in the vanilla and molasses.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and mix until just combined. Add the white chocolate chips.
- Spread into the prepared baking dish and bake until edges are set and pulling away from the pan, about 30-35 minutes. The middle will not be completely set. Allow the blondies to cool completely in the pan before slicing.