It’s March, so I can start churning out the ice cream full time, right? Right? Okay, so maybe it’s not quite ice cream whether for most of us yet. Here in Utah we’re about to enter the most bipolar season of them all. It’s hot, it’s cold, it’s sunny, it’s snowy. It’s enough to drive any person mad. So in a few weeks don’t be surprised if everything on twitter goes all caps.

But back to ice cream.

For me, ice cream is one of those treats that can turn any bad day upside down. There’s nothing that a little ice cream can’t cure, even if only temporarily.

My list of cookbooks I’d like to own is long, though my husband does his best to shorten it. Last Christmas I think I outright demanded that he get me The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. He did and I squealed with delight during my first flip through it. It’s an absolutely must-have for any lover of ice cream making and devouring.

I wanted to make literally every recipe in that book. And for some reason, I chose Tin Roof as the first one to try. It isn’t the most exotic flavor, nor is it anything fancy or complex. It’s just vanilla ice cream with swirls of chocolate and chunks of chocolate covered peanuts.

Just vanilla ice cream with swirls of chocolate and chunks of chocolate covered peanuts? Who could ask for anything more? It’s creamy, chocolaty, and has a good peanutty crunch. It’s all this girl needs. And there’s something about this flavor that reminds me of being a kid. Of hot summer afternoons where more ice cream melts down my cheeks and hands than actually ends up in my mouth.

This tin roof ice cream is youthful summertime in a bowl, which helps me feel better about the snow coming down outside.

Tin Roof Ice Cream
From The Perfect Scoop
Makes approximately 1 quart

3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 vanilla bean
4 large egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate covered peanuts, chopped
Fudge ripple (recipe follows)

Warm the milk, sugar, salt, and 1/2 cup of the cream in a medium saucepan. With a paring knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and put them in the hot milk mixture. Cover, remove from heat, and let steep for 30 minutes.

Rewarm the milk mixture. Pour the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream into a large bowl with a mesh strainer set on top. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir with a rubber spatula until thickened and the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Pour the custard through the strainer to remove the vanilla bean and any egg bits into the large bowl. Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator. Prepare the fudge ripple.

Fudge Ripple

1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons unsweetened dutch-process cocoa
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together the sugar, corn syrup, water, and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, whisking frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Chill in the refrigerator completely.

Freeze the ice cream according to manufacturers directions. In a medium bowl, carefully fold the prepared ice cream with the fudge ripple and layer with the chocolate covered peanuts. Avoid stirring them all together or you will lose the ripple and end up with chocolate ice cream. Freeze for at least 2 hours to harden before serving.

19 Responses to Tin Roof Ice Cream

I am ready for spring and ice cream! Love this flavor!

2. Roxan says:

This ice cream looks amazing! My husband and I LOVE ice cream – we eat tubs and tubs of it. I think my favorite part of your ice cream is the fudge ripple! I would have to double that. ;]

3. whisk-kid says:

I feel like ice cream is a year-round treat. I never wait for warm weather, and I'm glad that you're not really, either :P

This sounds so awesome. I love chocolate covered peanuts and never would have thought to put them in ice cream!

4. the chirpy bird says:

I just made ice cream! I made Nutella Nilla Wafer ice cream… oh yeah, I'm totally crazy like that. I just posted about it the other day too so if you want the recipe, it's up.
    Love that I'm not the only crazy person making ice cream in March! and I'd be flat out lying if I said I wasn't in the midst of making some now too…whoops haha
    xx tash

5. Erika Beth, the Messy Chef says:

I haven't seen this flavor in awhile. Nice! Too cold in NYC for ice cream but there are hints of spring showing up!

6. Jennifurla says:

Looks great and makes perfect sense to make first!

7. Derek Kitchen says:

Oh Annalise! This looks FANTASTIC

8. Priya says:

Omg, those chocolate covered peanuts in icecream makes me drool..

9. Jessica Foreman says:

*drool* Now I want ice cream! Can you just mail me a tub of that to me because that sounds fantastic. :)

What kind of an ice cream maker do you have? Do you just have the attachment for your kitchenaid? I think that's probably what I'll do once I finally get a kitchenaid myself.

10. Mary says:

Droooool! Wow! That looks silly delicious!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

11. Jenn says:

Hey, I live in Utah too. I know what you are saying about the weather. Today was actually a really nice day, but I'm sure it will be snowing tomorrow!! I can walk past ice cream in the Supermarket and not think twice, but homemade ice cream . . . I cannot resist. Yours sounds so yummy. An ice cream maker is on the top of my "wishlist"!

12. Natalie says:

I've flipped through his book and concluded I need it! This looks fabulous!

13. Brilynn says:

It's never too early for ice cream! And all of David Lebovitz's recipes for it are awesome, I love The Perfect Scoop.

14. Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum says:

I have an ice cream maker that is still in the box (gulp) but I think I know just what recipe to use for its first round of ice cream! Beautiful photos!

15. Lynds says:

This looks so good! I love making homemade ice cream so this has to go on my list of ones to try!

I also wanted to let you know that I passed on the 'Stylish Blogger Award' to you and your lovely blog – http://vanillacloudsandlemondrops.blogspot.com/2011/03/pink-champagne-truffles-and-awards.html

16. Cathy says:

Oh, yum! I want some!

17. Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to know a lot approximately this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something. I think that you can do with some percent to pressure the message home a little bit, but other than that, that is great blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.

18. This is a topic that is near to my heart… Thank you!
    Exactly where are your contact details though?

19. Vanessa says:

I made this today for our (canadian) Thanksgiving and it’s so delicious!!! The kids were asking for seconds before everyone even got some! I doubled the recipe and there still wasn’t enough! Yum!