I love Fall. I love the beautiful fall colors. I love wearing jackets and scarves. I love the anticipation of the approaching holidays. And I love Fall comfort food.

Curling up inside with something warm, satisfying, and delicious while outside is cold and dreary is one of my favorite things. Add in a movie or a good book and some cuddling with my man, and I’m set.

We’ve been having unseasonably warm weather here in Utah, but I know it can’t last. I can sense that the weather is changing. Rain, cold and dare I say it…snow? is coming, and soon.

I welcome the change with this Apple Crisp. Nothing is more Fall to me than the smell of apples and cinnamon baking together in the oven. I’m tempted to keep one of these in the oven at all times, so my house can perpetually smell fantastically Fall.

If you’re looking for a simple way to bring Fall into your home, this is it. You can throw it together in a matter of minutes with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. Serve it hot, straight from the oven, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for maximum effect.

Eat the leftovers the next morning for breakfast, if you want. It’s hearty and not too sweet for first thing in the morning. You can skip the ice cream, or not, I won’t tell.

Apple Crisp
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Makes 4-6 servings

2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 all-purpose flour
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Whipped cream or ice cream, if desired

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8 inch baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir. Add the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly. Spread the sliced apples into the baking dish and sprinkle evenly with the topping.

Bake for 20-30 minutes until the topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

15 Responses to Apple Crisp

1. kelsigirl says:

I love apple cobbler. It's such a feel good cozy kind of dessert. This one looks amazing.

2. The Blue-Eyed Bakers says:

Oh nothing says falls like baking apples and cinnamon! This looks delicious…! And we would totally eat it for breakfast. With ice cream…

3. Heather says:

I love apple crisp. Yours looks so fabulous!

4. The Comfort of Cooking says:

Oh, I just love a good apple crisp. Yours looks perfect! Beautiful photos and a great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

5. Kelly says:

Am I correct in reading you only used 1 apple for this delicious treat?

6. Annalise says:

Nope, I used 2, thanks for catching my mistake!

7. Kelly says:

No problem! It seemed like more apple was needed. Although, I must admit the crumble is my personal favorite part. :)

8. Vanessa says:

I was just telling Melissa this morning how I want to make an apple crisp tonight and was planning on looking for a recepie today! Thanks for doing the work for me…looks amazing!

9. Pretty. Good. Food. says:

Wow, so simple, I love it! :) I'm making this tonight, sounds great!!!

10. Chef Bee says:

This looks delicious and I'm thinking of making your recipe this weekend. Your pictures are wonderful.

Plan B

11. molly says:

Wow, this looks delicious, you’re giving me a Sugar Rush just looking at it!

12. Louise says:

Delightful for the holidays! Fall just begs us to bake with apples! Thanks for the yummy recipe. Love your great step-by-step instructions.

13. Doreen says:

this looks so simple and delicious! the whipped cream on top is the perfect touch!

14. Wow, is all I have to say! Ok, and YUM! ;-) This looks divine!! I stumbled you on stumbleupon! SO happy I did! :) From one blogher author to another!

xo
    Katie :)

15. Nancy says:

This was fabulous…especially the “crisp” part! I changed it up a bit and used 3 apples and about a cup of blueberries….tasty for a summertime treat! We only got 2 servings…yes, we were gluttons! Did I say how tasty the “crisp” part was?
    Loved it!