Last week I got a really, really bad head cold. I had to take a few days off work, I stayed in bed, and I watched a lot of bad daytime television. It wasn’t very much fun. Colds during the summer are the worst, aren’t they?

Anyway, I woke up one morning with a fierce appetite. I glanced around the kitchen and somehow settled on the lemon sitting in my fruit bowl and a bag of last season’s blueberries in the freezer. Lemon blueberry scones coming right up! Just what the doctor ordered.

All the fixin's

Sometimes I hear comments about how baking good food from scratch is too difficult, too time consuming, and requires special trips to the grocery store. To that I say phooey! I was sick and still managed to bake these delicious scones in under thirty minutes. It’s not hard at all. And I almost guarantee that you have the ingredients in your kitchen for scones. Maybe not these exact scones, but some equally as good.

I think that’s part of the reason I love scones so much, they are so adaptable to whatever you’re in the mood for. You can add any kind of fruit, nuts, chocolate, or all of the above. Anything goes! Even my freezer-burned blueberries produced a beautiful and tasty pastry.

I’ve started adding plain yogurt to my scones, I love what yogurt does to them. It makes them light and moist, even a little cake-like. And I love the lemon and blueberries together here. They bring a brightness and freshness that will surely get your day started on the right foot.

Of course, these aren’t strictly just a breakfast item. These scones are delicious any time of day.

Lemon Blueberry Scones

1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Egg wash, as needed

For the glaze:
2 cups confectioners sugar
Juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and lemon zest. Add the cubes of butter and either with a pastry cutter or a fork, cut in the butter until the mixture is grainy and the butter is the size of peas.

In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt and cream until combined. Add to the flour mixture and mix with a spoon until the mixture just starts to come together. Do not overmix. Add the blueberries and gently fold together (the blueberries will start to bleed so mix minimally to prevent your scones from turning purple). Gather the mixture into a ball and dump onto a greased surface.

Use your hands to form the dough into a rectangle and flatten about one inch think. Cut the dough into two rectangles, then cut each into two small squares. Cut each square diagonally to make two triangles. Place each triangular scone on the sheet pan about one inch apart. Create an egg wash by whisking one egg and a tablespoon of cream or milk together. Brush over the top of each scone.

Bake until golden, about 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, make the glaze.

Stir together the lemon juice and confectioners sugar in a microwave safe bowl. Add the butter and microwave on high for about 30 seconds until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Drizzle over the tops of the scones.

21 Responses to Lemon Blueberry Scones

1. Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) says:

Oh, yum! These are so similar to my buttermilk blueberry muffins with lemon glaze… I love the combination of blueberries and lemon, too! Definitely bookmarking this to try in the near future. Great recipe, Annalise!

2. Jennifurla says:

Oh these look so divine, great pictures

3. Moogie says:

I just happened upon your blog. Love the super recipes.

4. Val says:

This looks so incredibly yummy!!!!

How many blueberries did you use? And have you tried using fresh blueberries?

6. Annalise @ Completely Delicious says:

I used about 1 cup of frozen berries, but fresh would definitely work just as well.

7. coryzalia says:

This is a delicious recipe for a blueberry scone with unsalted butter glaze.

8. Susan Vaughn says:

OH THANK YOU!!!! These were awesome and my husband LOVED them! Better than Panera Bread Scones! (I will be pinning these to Pinterest!)

9. [...] great looking scones to try: Lemon Blueberry Scones by Completely Delicious Homemade Pancake Syrup and Utah Scones by Barbara Bakes Savory Avocado [...]

10. Julie says:

I made these this weekend, after recovering from a nasty cold as well! I was lazy though and pressed the dough into a quiche pan instead of rolling out and cutting into triangles. They turned out great!

11. Kayci says:

I just made these! Absolutely wonderful!!!! My daughter and fiance are going crazy over them :) THANK YOU!

12. [...] weekend getaway. I found numerous blueberry scone recipes on the Internet but finally settled on this one from Completely Delicious. I changed it slightly by adding   walnuts, because they were in my [...]

13. DeAnna says:

i must be doing something wrong.. i know scones are super easy, my butter is cold, i followed the recipe, my blueberries get squished, and my dough isnt very easy to pat down to cut enough squares :/ i didnt over mixed just added enough liquid to get the dough to form. im sad what may i be doing wrong? i feel so dumb messing up a scone recipe.

Without being with you in your kitchen, I don’t what it is you’re “doing wrong”. However, I will say that I have a hard time adding fruit and other mix ins to scones also, as the dough is usually thick and the two don’t seem to go very well together. The blueberries do get squished a little bit. I mix it the very least I have to get them combined and leave it at that. It’s okay if they look a little “rustic”. Also make sure your counter surface and hands are dusted with flour, that may help you pat the sticky dough out. Good luck!

14. [...] you went in the first place].  Time will also be devoted to church-going, Bachelor-watching, and scone-eating. Cocoa Puffs, coffee with peppermint creamer, and hand-whisked orange juice are always readily [...]

15. [...] Blueberry Muffins — because how do you make blueberry muffins better?  You add chocolate! Lemon Blueberry Scones – these are next on my [...]

16. Theresa says:

I made these scones today. Quick and easy. By far the best scones ever. I did substitute light sour cream for the yogurt. Thanks!