Easy Classic Coleslaw
This is the easiest classic coleslaw filled with cabbage, carrots, chives, cilantro and a creamy mayo dressing.
Coleslaw is one of those dishes that is ALWAYS better homemade. Whenever I get coleslaw at restaurants, it’s always disappointing. Soggy, bland, and boring.
But homemade coleslaw is a completely different story! This easy classic coleslaw with creamy dressing is full of crunch, plenty of flavor, and adds so much beautiful color to any meal.
Pile it on top of BBQ sandwiches or tacos, or serve it alongside any spread. Coleslaw is especially perfect for summer cookouts and picnics!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cabbage— you can use green, purple, or napa cabbage, or a combination. I used half green and half purple.
- Chives or green onion
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Celery seed
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Easy Classic Coleslaw
It really couldn’t be easier!
- Shred and chop veggies. Shred cabbage and carrots and chop cilantro and chives or green onions.
- Make dressing. Whisk the mayonnaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, salt and pepper together.
- Toss it all together. Add veggies to a large bowl, pour in the dressing, and toss to coat. This recipe makes a heavily dressed coleslaw. If you like, start with half of the dressing and add more per your preference.
- Enjoy immediately or store for later. I like coleslaw right after it’s been tossed, but you can make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge for several days.
- Do I need to wash cabbage? Once you’ve peeled off the outer layers of cabbage, the cabbage inside is usually clean, but you may choose to wash it. Use a salad spinner to easily rinse and dry shredded cabbage.
- What’s the easiest way to shred cabbage? You can use a food processor, but I think it’s easiest to use a knife! Less dishes that way too.
- Can I use store-bought shredded cabbage? Yes! Add my homemade dressing to any bagged slaw mix.
- How long does coleslaw last? Coleslaw can be stored in the fridge for several days, but will lose its crunch the longer it sits. I like to use it up within 1-2 days.
- Can I make coleslaw ahead of time? Definitely! See question above. You can also prep veggies and dressing separately and store them in the fridge for at least a week and mix right before serving.
- Why is my coleslaw watery? Salt naturally draws out the water from cabbage, so as coleslaw sits it will get a bit watery. To avoid this, mix cabbage with the dressing right before serving.
Shop Tools for this Recipe
Easy Classic Coleslaw
- 2 lbs cabbage , shredded (such as green, purple, napa, or mixture)
- 3 medium carrots , shredded
- ½ cup cilantro , roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chives or green onions , chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl toss the shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, cilantro and chives or green onions.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar, celery seeds and salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Toss dressing with the vegetables.
- Serve right away for crunchiest coleslaw. Coleslaw will also keep in the fridge for several days.