Lemon curd, oh lemon curd. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways…
Since the first time I made my own lemon curd a few years ago I have been obsessed. Every spring I make several batches of it and slather it on everything from biscuits to pancakes, I use it to fill cakes and tarts, and even enjoy it straight with a spoon.
This recipe has never failed me. I now use less butter than I used to and haven’t missed it one bit (the recipe below reflects that change). This lemon curd is wonderful, it’s bright, and it’s insanely lemony.
Don’t be intimidated by the all of the squeezing, zesting, and tempering of egg yolks (see baking tip below). Follow the recipe and you can’t miss. And you really should try it, because it will seriously change your life. Okay, maybe it won’t change your life, but it will definitely brighten your day.
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (141 grams) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- 1 cup (237 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3-4 lemons)
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 10 large egg yolks
- Add ½ cup butter, ½ cup sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice to a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- In another bowl, combine the egg yolks with the remaining ½ cup sugar. Slowly add the hot lemon juice mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously. When fully combined, return the mixture to the saucepan and continue to cook over medium heat until the whisk leaves a trail in the curd. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and pass through a mesh strainer set over a bowl to remove the zest and any egg clumps. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the curd and let set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week.
Recipe updated March 2013.
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.
about meHi, I'm Annalise and I love to bake! Welcome to my blog, where you'll find recipes, baking tips and tricks, and more.