For a more dramatic presentation, you can cut 2 (or more) baked cake layers in half to create more layers and a taller cake. There are several ways to do this, but this method is my favorite and it requires no special tools!
- Chill cake layers completely in the fridge before slicing.
- Use a small paring knife to score the outside edge of the cake halfway up the side. Get down at eye level if necessary.
- Use a large serrated knife to slice through the cake horizontally, using the scored line as a guide. Go slow, there’s no need to rush.
- Lift the top half of the cake up with the help of the serrated knife.
- Use cake layers immediately, or return to the fridge until ready to assemble.
For more help and photos, see my full post on how to cut a cake into even layers.