Sweet Potato Bites with Marshmallows and Pecans
Sweet potato bites with marshmallows and pecans are a fun and delicious holiday appetizer or side dish.
This recipe is sponsored by Challenge Dairy.
I can’t seem to leave sweet potato dishes alone, and there’s always a new twist I’m looking for each holiday season. This year’s creation is these sweet potato bites with marshmallows and pecans! I’ve topped thick rounds of butter-roasted sweet potatoes with maple syrup, marshmallows, and pecans for all the flavors of classic sweet potato casserole in a delightful single-serving package.
So if you’re looking for something familiar but slightly non-traditional for Thanksgiving, this is it! And not only are these sweet potato bites tasty, but they’re easy to make too. With just 5 ingredients and only a few minutes of prep work needed.
Perfect as an Appetizer or Side Dish!
One great thing about these sweet potato bites with marshmallows and pecans is that they work either as an appetizer or side dish! Whether you serve them before dinner, or add them to your holiday buffet table, everybody is guaranteed to love them!
Let’s get baking then, shall we?
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Sweet potatoes
- Salted Challenge Butter
- Maple syrup
- Pecan halves
Why I Bake with Challenge Butter
Butter plays an important role in these sweet potato bites. It adds so much flavor that you wouldn’t get if you roasted the sweet potatoes in oil or another butter alternative.
Since butter is so essential to this recipe, I like to use a high quality butter like Challenge Butter. Challenge is the only dairy product company that controls the whole process of making butter— from milking the cows, to transporting the milk, to making the butter, to packaging. And Challenge Butter is made and ready to be shipped in just 24 hours after milking. That makes for some super fresh and flavorful butter!
How to Make these Sweet Potato Bites
- Combine sweet potatoes with butter. Peel sweet potatoes and slice into 1-inch rounds. Place on a greased sheet pan and toss with melted butter.
- Roast sweet potatoes. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes, flip the sweet potatoes over and bake for about 20 minutes more until fork tender.
- Add maple syrup and marshmallows. Remove from the oven and gently toss with maple syrup, then top with halved marshmallows.
- Broil and top with pecans. Place under the broiler and toast for a minute or two until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and immediately press a pecan half into the top of each marshmallow.
- Serve and enjoy! These sweet potato bites are best served hot.
Tips for this Recipe
- Use sweet potatoes of roughly the same size so rounds will cook evenly.
- Adding maple syrup at the end (instead of with the butter) ensures it doesn’t burn in the hot oven during roasting.
- Use kitchen shears to easily cut marshmallows in half.
- While these sweet potato bites are best enjoyed immediately and cannot be made ahead, tasks like slicing the sweet potatoes and halving marshmallows can be done ahead of time and stored until you’re ready to bake.
More Sweet Potato Dishes to Love
If you love these sweet potato bites, be sure to check out these other seasonal recipes!
- Sweet Potato Pie with Toasted Marshmallow Meringue
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Maple Pecan Sauce
- Sweet Potato Spice Cake
- Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls with Whipped Honey Butter
Shop Tools for this Recipe
Sweet Potato Bites with Marshmallow and Pecans
- 4 sweet potatoes , peeled and sliced into 1-inch rounds (about 2 lbs)
- ¼ cup Salted Challenge Butter , melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- About 12 regular-sized marshmallows , halved
- About 24 pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a sheet pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- Add sweet potato rounds to pan, drizzle melted butter over the top, and toss until sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- Roast sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes, then flip them over (bottoms should be browned) and roast for another 15-20 minutes until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and set oven to broil.
- Drizzle maple syrup over roasted sweet potatoes and gently toss. Top with marshmallow halves.
- Broil marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes 1-3 minutes until lightly toasted (watch so they don't burn).
- As soon as sweet potatoes come out of the oven, press a pecan half into the top of the marshmallow. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Challenge Dairy, Inc. Thank you for supporting partnerships with brands I love and believe in, which make Completely Delicious possible. All opinions are always 100% my own. To learn more about Challenge Dairy, you can visit their website here. You can also find them on facebook, instagram, youtube, and pinterest.