Right now I’m lying on the couch, in between naps, willing our little boy to make his grand entrance. I’m not sure it’s working.
While yesterday was productive, filled with grocery shopping and cleaning and organizing, it’s all I can do to just stay awake today. Thankfully I have one of the easiest recipes to share with you. One thing I will say about pregnancy is that it has inspired some amazing desserts, and this is one of them, a simple rhubarb crisp with sweetened ricotta baked right in.
No crisp or crumble isn’t complete without a side of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, but there’s no need here. The ricotta takes care of that, and pairs nicely with the tart rhubarb. It’s a simple, humble dessert, but that doesn’t make it any less satisfying.
This rhubarb ricotta crisp is a perfect solution for any lazy spring afternoon, whether you’re 9 months pregnant and can’t get yourself off the couch or you just don’t want to fuss too long in the kitchen.
Rhubarb Ricotta Crisp
- 1 pound rhubarb , sliced (460 grams)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar , divided (200 grams)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (62 grams)
- ½ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (85 grams)
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats (45 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , melted (57 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, ginger, salt and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and use a fork to combine until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, ¼ cup (50 grams) of the sugar, and the vanilla. Set aside.
- Toss the sliced rhubarb with the remaining ¾ cup (150 grams) sugar and the cornstarch in the baking dish. Spoon the ricotta mixture over the top. Sprinkle with the oat crumb mixture.
- Bake until bubbly around the edges and topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store tightly wrapped in the fridge for up to 3 days.