This flatbread pizza covered in hummus, salad, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese is a wonderful light meal or appetizer.
I feel like I’m in a pendulum of excess and health. I swing back and forth between weeks where I’m busy out and about and eating everything, and weeks where I’m able to lay low and stick to balanced meals. This last weekend I attended Everything Food Conference here in Salt Lake City, and even though I didn’t have to travel, I still ate all the things. Just as one little example, on one particular day I had a chocolate croissant, a giant cookie, and a bag of gummy bears all within about a 60 minute time frame (hashtag, I’m doing it wrong).
So with the start of a new week I’m refocusing myself and striving for lots more veggies and fewer gummy bears.
This hummus and salad flatbread pizza is exactly the kind of light (but still delicious!) fare I’m aiming for. It is inspired by a recipe I stumbled upon in this month’s issue of Food and Wine magazine, only I made it a whole lot easier and way more fun. I use flatbread as the base instead of pizza dough you have to bake, and I topped mine with plenty of toasted pine nuts and shaved parmesan. Much more bang for very little buck.
You can use literally any lettuce or greens you want for the salad, but for this one I went with baby arugula and pea shoots. I spotted the pea shoots at the grocery store and just had to try them. The verdict? It’s like if lettuce and sugar snap peas had a baby— fabulous. I highly recommend!
The funny thing is I’ve been enjoying quick little pizzas like this with lunch for years but it wasn’t until someone else shared it in a magazine that I realized it was a legit dish that should I be sharing as well. Every time I make it I change it up— sometimes I’ll add tomatoes, olives, avocado, or use different cheeses. These pizzas are a fabulous way to clear out the fridge.
They are one of my favorite lunches, but they’d also be great as an appetizer, or you could even turn it into a bigger meal by adding some grilled chicken or steak.
The sky’s the limit, folks!
Hummus and Salad Flatbread Pizza
- 2 medium flatbread or pita bread
- 1 cup prepared hummus
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup pea shoots
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat broiler on high for a few minutes.
- Plate flatbread or pita bread on a sheet pan and toast for 3-4 minutes until warm and edges are crispy.
- Remove from oven and immediately spread hummus on top.
- In a bowl, toss together the arugula, pea shoots, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pile on top of the two pizzas. Top with parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
- Slice and serve immediately.
- Feel free to use any greens or lettuce you'd like on this pizza.
- To toast pine nuts: set in a clean pan over medium low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned.
Tools for this recipe