Pizza night just got portable with these sausage, mushroom and olive calzones.
If you were to know just one thing about me, it’s that I love to bake sweets. Duh. But, if you were to know two things about me, it’s that pizza is my most favorite non-sweet to bake. Pizza night is a near weekly, cherished tradition in our house.
You don’t mess with pizza night, unless it’s with calzones. The original “hot pocket”, calzones are individually portioned and can be filled with practically any ingredients you like, though I’m pretty partial to this combination of sausage, mushrooms and black olives.
These calzone are perfect for a picnic, hearty lunch box meal, or game day potluck. Make them as big or small as you like, depending on whether you’re feeding your small family or a large crowd.
How to freeze calzones for later
Calzones freeze very well, so make a double batch and freeze half for a quick and easy meal later! Here’s how:
1. Bake calzones according to recipe instructions and allow to cool completely.
2. Tightly wrap in plastic wrap.
3. Put in a freezer plastic bag.
4. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
5. To reheat, remove from plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, flipping halfway through, or warm in a 300 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
This recipe was developed in partnership with Go Bold with Butter, along with this awesome all-butter pizza crust.
Calzones with Sausage and Mushrooms
- 1 recipe Pizza Crust
- 1/2 pound ground sausage
- 2 cups cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2.25-ounce can sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs such as sage, rosemary or thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash
- 2 cups marinara sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Prepare Butter Pizza Crust. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and roll out into thin circle about 6 inches wide. Transfer to sheet pans.
- In large skillet set over medium high heat, brown sausage. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of sausage grease from pan. Return pan to heat, add sliced mushrooms, olives and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are browned. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In bowl, combine sausage, mushrooms, herbs, mozzarella and parmesan. Spoon about 1/2 cup of mixture into center of each pizza dough round.
- Fold dough over to make half-moon shape. Crimp edges to seal. Brush with egg wash and bake until golden, 25-30 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce, for dipping.
Have you tried this recipe?
Thank you for supporting partnerships with brands I believe in, which make it easier for me to bring you new and exciting content. All opinions are always my own.