Rich chocolate brownies with a fun peanut butter swirl!
I’m not much of a chocoholic. Sure, I love chocolate (who doesn’t?), but my world doesn’t revolve around it. Of course, there is an exception to every rule and occasionally I can’t get a chocolate craving out of my head. And if some peanut butter happens to cozy itself up next to that chocolate craving, forget about it. I’m a goner.
In my mind, combining chocolate and peanut butter together may have been the most significant creation of all time. Okay, probably not, but we can all agree that it’s a pretty damn good combo, right?
Next time I get a chocolate and peanut butter hankering, I know exactly what recipe I’ll be coming back to. These peanut butter swirl brownies deliver. They’re rich and dense and packed with enough chocolate and peanut butter to satisfy even the worst craving (Note to self: keep this recipe close by during possible future pregnancies).
What’s your favorite chocolate and peanut butter treat?
baking tip:Getting the perfect swirl
It’s easy! Just follow these steps:
- Spread the brownie batter evenly in the pan.
- Drop dollops of the filling on top, spacing them evenly 1 inch apart.
- Take a knife and starting at one corner, push it all the way down to the bottom of the pan and drag it through the batter and filling.
- When you reach the other side of the pan, curve the knife around without lifting it and drag it back the other way, about 1 inch from your first line.
- Repeat with the rest of the pan, then rotate and start again, this time perpendicular to the first set of lines.
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
For the brownies:
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 6 ounces (170 grams) dark chocolate, chopped or use chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup (83 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (133 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the peanut butter filling:
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup (135 grams) smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the brownies:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and line with parchment paper, letting the sides overhang.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and chocolate. Stir until smooth and remove from heat as soon as all of the chocolate is melted. Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the sugar to the saucepan and mix until incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Stir in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and set aside while you prepare the filling.
To make the filling:
- Combine the melted butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Scoop the filling by the rounded tablespoon on top of the brownie batter, leaving about 1 inch between each scoop. Run a knife through the batter and filling, touching the bottom, to swirl the two together.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few dry crumbs, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving.
- Brownies may be stored at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days.