Soft peanut butter bars covered with chocolate frosting— they’re incredibly indulgent!
Chocolate and peanut butter go together like, well, chocolate and peanut butter. It’s a combination that cannot be beat. And these peanut butter blondies with chocolate buttercream cannot be beat!
These blondies are a simple, no-fuss dessert, sure to please just about everyone. They’re perfect for parties, potlucks, and picnics! Just make sure you have a glass of milk nearby, you’ll need it to wash them down.
How to slice brownies and bars evenly
Take these simple steps to get neat, pretty slices of cookie bars or brownies every time.
- Line baking pan with greased foil or parchment paper with overhanging sides to use as handles to easily lift bars out of the pan for slicing.
- Cool baked bars or brownies completely to room temperature before removing them from the pan. For softer bars, chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- Slice with a sharp serrated knife, wiping it clean between each cut.
You may enjoy these other peanut butter treats
- 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Peanut Butter and Jam Sweet Rolls
- Peanut Butter Caramel Cupcakes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Shop tools for this recipe
This recipe was originally published October 2011.
Peanut Butter Blondies with Chocolate Buttercream
Peanut Butter Blondies:
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (166 grams)
- 2 cups light or dark brown sugar (425 grams)
- 1 cup peanut butter (270 grams), smooth or crunchy
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (85 grams), softened to room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar (227 grams), sifted
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (128 grams), melted
To make the blondies:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease with nonstick baking spray.
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the peanut butter until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, and then the vanilla, stirring until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Spread the batter into the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
To make the buttercream:
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until smooth, scraping down the mixer bowl a few times as needed.
- Frost blondies with buttercream. Slice into squares and serve.
- To melt chocolate, microwave chocolate in a heat-proof bowl on high in 30 second intervals. Stirring until smooth.