Soft peanut butter bars covered with chocolate frosting— they’re incredibly indulgent!
Chocolate and peanut butter go together like, well, chocolate and peanut butter. It’s a combination that cannot be beat. And these peanut butter blondies with chocolate buttercream cannot be beat!
These blondies are a simple, no-fuss dessert, sure to please just about everyone. They’re perfect for parties, potlucks, and picnics! Just make sure you have a glass of milk nearby, you’ll need it to wash them down.
baking tip:Slicing cookie bars and brownies
Take these simple steps to get neat, pretty slices of cookie bars or brownies every time.
- Line baking pan with greased foil or parchment paper with overhanging sides to use as handles to easily lift bars out of the pan for slicing.
- Cool baked bars or brownies completely to room temperature before removing them from the pan. For softer bars, chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- Slice with a sharp serrated knife, wiping it clean between each cut.
You may enjoy these other peanut butter treats
- 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Peanut Butter and Jam Sweet Rolls
- Peanut Butter Caramel Cupcakes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Shop tools for this recipe
This recipe was originally published October 2011.
Peanut Butter Blondies with Chocolate Buttercream
Peanut Butter Blondies:
- 10 tablespoons (166 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (425 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (270 grams) peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (227 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup (128 grams) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
To make the blondies:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease with nonstick baking spray.
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the peanut butter until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, and then the vanilla, stirring until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Spread the batter into the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
To make the buttercream:
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until smooth, scraping down the mixer bowl a few times as needed.
- Frost blondies with buttercream. Slice into squares and serve.
- To melt chocolate, microwave chocolate in a heat-proof bowl on high in 30 second intervals. Stirring until smooth.