A light and simple salad with dynamite flavors— roasted asparagus, fresh avocado and mixed greens tossed together with a homemade lemon-parmesan vinaigrette.
I discovered this salad shortly after John was born, almost 3 years ago and it’s been a favorite spring and summertime weekday lunch ever since. I look forward to the return of fresh and affordable asparagus to my supermarket for this very reason.
I’ve used various dressings for this salad, often whatever was in the fridge or even just a simple drizzle of olive oil. My current favorite is this lemon-parmesan vinaigrette from Mountain Mama Cooks and I’m drizzling it over everything. It’s just so darn good and makes me happy.
This salad works as a side to just about anything, but you can also bulk it up and turn it into a heartier meal. While I love it just as it is, I often will add some sliced cooked chicken breast and a few spoonfuls of quinoa or farro, or serve it with a side of crusty bread.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup (25 grams) grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ bunch asparagus, chopped
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Lemon vinaigrette (above)
- Additional parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients in a mason jar or tupperware with tight lid. Shake vigorously for a few seconds until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss the chopped asparagus, olive oil and salt and pepper and spread in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Toss the roasted asparagus, chopped avocado and mixed greens with some lemon-vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
- Store leftover vinaigrette in the fridge for up to several weeks. Let come to room temperature for about 5 minutes, then shake to reincorporate.
Some of my blogging friends and I are taking on the challenge to eat seasonally. Check out Vintage Mixer’s guide to what’s in season this month and join us, won’t you?
A Zesty Bite – Whipped Lemon Ricotta Open Faced sandwich
Well Plated – Curried Broccoli Chickpea Hash
Climbing Grier Mountain – Baked Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Artichokes with Blue Cheese
Bless this Mess – Spinach and Mushroom Marinara with (or without) Meatballs
Cookie and Kate – Greek Broccoli Salad
Kitchen Confidante – Baked Eggs with Asparagus and Peas
Vintage Mixer – Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Cafe Johnsonia – Blood Orange Asparagus Salad with Ginger Miso Dressing
Mountain Mama Cooks- Avocado and Mango Salad with Citrus Poppyseed Dressing
Sweet Basil- Creamy Garlic Lemon Butter Pasta
Foodie Crush – Spinach, Leek and Bacon Quiche
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.