Ditch the graham crackers and chocolate squares, this here is the best way to make campfire s’mores— with homemade chocolate chip cookies and giant marshmallows.
Let’s file this one under Best Idea I’ve Ever Had.
I love s’mores as much as the next gal, but if I’m being truly honest the sum is not greater than its parts.
Graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows are a wonderful flavorful combination, but a traditional s’more is never as satisfying in real life as it is in my head. The crackers are too crunchy, the chocolate doesn’t really get a chance to melt, and the marshmallow squishes out the sides.
However, making s’mores with homemade chocolate chip cookies fixes all of that and elevates it far and above an average outdoor treat. They become one with the toasted marshmallows and you’re left with a soft, gooey and utterly delightful mess.
This is not an original idea, I know, but this was the first time I gave s’mores with cookies a try and let me tell you— life changing. I’m never going back.
Feel free to use your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, I’ve included mine below. And if you can find the jumbo marshmallows, those are ideal. Enjoy!
- 10 tablespoons (140 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (215 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (340 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 dozen jumbo marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium high speed with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.
- Spoon by the tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches in between each cookie. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the s'mores, toast jumbo marshmallows over the coals of a fire. Sandwich between two chocolate chip cookies. Enjoy immediately.
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.
about meHi, I'm Annalise and I love to bake! Welcome to my blog, where you'll find recipes, baking tips and tricks, and more.