Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla

Earlier this week I was enjoying prepping my annual strawberry jam. It was a quiet morning and naptime, so I was alone in the kitchen. It all seemed so perfect, I just couldn’t resist pulling out my camera and capturing the process.

Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla

Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla

Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla

I hadn’t planned on posting this, since I’ve shared a strawberry vanilla bean jam recipe before, but this year’s jam comes with a new little twist and I figured what the heck. Β It’s too good not to share. So here you have itβ€” strawberry and rosewater jam with vanilla bean.

Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla

Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla

I am obsessed with the strawberry and rosewater combination right now. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend it. Since strawberries (and other berries) are part of the rose family, they go together very, very well. The rosewater isn’t a strong flavor, but it helps enhance the strawberry flavor.

I loved how this jam turned out and I’m so glad I’ll get it enjoy it all year round!

Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla

Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla

The Shelf Life of Jam

Fridge: It depends on the amount of sugar in the jam, but it will keep in the fridge for a few weeks to up to a few months.
Freezer: Jam stored in the freezer will keep for up to 6 months.
Canned: If preserved and processed correctly, canned jams will keep for about 1 year. It’s best stored in a cool, dark place like a pantry or cellar.

If you ever find evidence of spoilage (mold, fermentation or bubbling), discard immediately.

Strawberry Rosewater Jam with Vanilla

Strawberry and Rose Water Jam with Vanilla Bean
Not your average strawberry jam, this recipe includes rose water and vanilla bean for a fun and flavorful twist.
Yield: About 3 half-pint jars
  • 2 pounds (900 grams) strawberries, stems removed and sliced
  • 2½ cups (500 grams) sugar
  • ¼ cup (60 ml) bottled lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon rose water
  • 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
  1. Combine the crushed strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and rose water in a large saucepan and place over medium-heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently and skimming any foam from the top.
  2. Reduce heat and simmer. Add the vanilla bean. Continue to cook while still stirring frequently until thick and gelled, about 20-30 minutes.
  3. Remove vanilla bean pod. Spoon jam into sterilized jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe the rims of the jars clean and cover with sterilized lids and rings. Process in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Make sure the water covers the jars completely, and that it is boiling for the entire processing time.
  4. Let cool to room temperature before removing rings and storing.
Notes: If you are new to canning, try this excellent post from Simple Bites: Canning 101 for help.

You can find rosewater at most whole foods stores. You can also make your own.

For higher altitudes: 1,001-6,000 feet add 5 minutes to processing time. For 6,001 feet and above, add 10 minutes.

16 Responses to Strawberry and Rose Water Jam with Vanilla Bean

1. Sarah says:

These are beautiful photos. I could never get suck of this process, and the jam sounds lovely!

2. I bet the rosewater is amazing in this! Gorgeous photos and I love the process of canning and I can only imagine how peaceful and enjoyable it was to do it uninterrupted. The lighting is beautiful!

Thanks Kelley! I have you to thank for my newfound love of canning and preserving. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. I can almost taste the subtle sweetness of this unique and fragrant jam. A touch of the middle east to jam is always a good idea. Stunning photo shots

4. Oh, how I just adore Strawberry Jam! Your Strawberry and Rose Water Jam with Vanilla Bean looks scrumptious, Annalise! Such a refreshing flavor combination! xo

5. Erin R. says:

I LOVE small batch canning! My mom used to do gallons and gallons of jam every year, blow the whole kitchen apart for an entire day and have a big mess to clean up at the end. So much work for a big family. But since my husb insists he doesn’t like jam, I can make small amounts just for myself and make it exactly the way I like it (tiny amount of sugar, mixed spices, etc.). So I totally get the joy of the process when you have time to yourself and can just focus on each step. I hope I’m not too late for Strawberries this year because your post really makes me want to do a few jars of rosewater jam, especially since I just happen to have a bottle of rosewater in my pantry. My gosh, this was fun to see. Your photos are gorgeous as always. Thanks!

Oh, PS, have you ever tried the Tattler reusable canning lids? I found them at IFA a few years ago and I think they may have them at Ace Hardware and a few other places now. They work perfectly and you never have to buy new lids again.

Hi Erin! I’m definitely going to look into the reusable lids. What a genius idea! And I hope you can find some strawberries still in season in your area, but if not, try adding some rosewater to a raspberry jam recipe. I bet it would be equally amazing! Happy jam making!

6. Looks so yummy! I love jam and strawberry at that!

7. Tori Lee says:

mmm looks delicious! Where do you buy your vanilla beans from? At the nearest grocery story its almost 10 dollars for a bean; is this the same where you are?

I usually buy mine online, from a variety of places. And I usually get around $1/bean. The ones at the grocery store are so expensive!

8. Nessa says:

Love the added touch of the rose water!

9. Sues says:

I’m usually not a big rose person, but this sounds very intriguing to me! And so pretty, too πŸ™‚

It’s so subtle, I promise you’ll barely even notice it’s there. It just helps add a certain special something. πŸ™‚

10. Mr. & Mrs. P says:

Yum!! Love the addition of rose water… Makes it much more summery..