Summer temperatures are here and with them, my aversion to turning on the oven. I still do plenty of baking in the summer, just not as much, and usually only in the morning. So when I had a hankering for something sweet and refreshing on one particularly hot afternoon earlier this week, I turned to one of my new favorite things— club soda flavored with the perfect summer flavor combo, watermelon and lime.
This beverage is super easy, very refreshing, and a million times better than whatever processed fountain drink you’re currently a slave to. So ditch the drive-thru and make a pitcher of this flavored soda instead, I guarantee you won’t regret it.
I love a good cocktail as much as the next gal, but often this alcohol-free drink is all I need. Still, I have been known to add a splash (or two) of vodka, gin, and even rum to to my glass to kick it up a notch. Perfect for summer weekend sipping.
The most important thing to remember is that flavored sodas are 100% customizable. Buy a bottle of club soda or sparkling water and go crazy! Strawberry and basil, raspberry lemonade, peaches and mint… the options are endless.
- About 4 cups watermelon chunks (no need to remove the seeds)
- 2 cups sparkling water or club soda
- ¼ cup lime simple syrup
- ½ cup (100 grams) sugar
- ¼ cup (120 ml) water
- ¼ cup (120 ml) fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Zest of 1 lime
- Combine the sugar, water, lime juice, and zest in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat and chill thoroughly.
- In a blender, food processor, or juicer, puree the watermelon chunks. Pass through strainer to remove seeds and pulp.
- In a pitcher, combine the watermelon juice, simple syrup, and sparkling water or club soda. Add additional simple syrup to taste, if needed. Pour into glasses filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.