Blueberry Brie Scones
Sweet and savory scones bursting with the flavor of fresh blueberries and creamy brie cheese.
While I feel like I had a pretty realistic idea of what motherhood would be like last year when my son was born, I honestly had no idea how much fun it would be. I knew it was going to be hard. I knew it would be never ending. And I knew that I was going to fall head over heels in love with him.
I had no idea how much fun weekends would be as a family of three. On Saturday morning I get John from his crib and bring him to bed with us to play while my husband and I wipe the sleep from our eyes and the dog does his best to cover us all in “doggie kisses”.
Eventually we stumble out of bed and next on the agenda is breakfast. Pancakes, eggs and bacon, muffins, yogurt and granola, and biscuits and scones all make the rotation regularly in our house. Since the baby came into our lives, we have become morning people and consequently, breakfast enthusiasts.
And I am very excited about my newest scone recipe. It’s bursting with fresh blueberries and melted brie cheese. It’s the perfect blend of sweet and savory and the scones were as fabulous served with morning coffee as they were later that afternoon as an impromptu afternoon snack.
They are best served warm, as that brings out the strongest cheesy flavor and I have to admit that the crispy burned cheesy bits on the pan were maybe my favorite part. Whether you’re as enthusiastic about breakfast or homemade scones as I am or not (though you really should be), this is a recipe you’ve gotta try.
baking tip:What's the difference between biscuits and scones
While scones and biscuits have many similarities and the line between the two is somewhat blurred, there are a few differences I have noticed.
Scones are typically richer, often made with eggs and/or heavy cream. And because of the extra liquid in the dough, scones can be denser and more cake-like, while biscuits are known for being soft and flaky. Both can be either sweet or savory, though biscuits are most known for being savory while scones are sweet.
Blueberry Brie Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 grams)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter , cold and cut into cubes (71 grams)
- ½ cup cold milk (120 ml, 4 fl oz)
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 4 ounces brie cheese , torn into pieces (115 grams)
- 4 ounces fresh blueberries (115 grams)
- Milk or lightly beaten egg , for wash
- Coarse sugar , for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or knife to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until butter is roughly the size of small peas (some will be larger, others smaller).
- Combine the milk and beaten egg and add to the bowl. Stir until the mixture comes together into a sticky dough. Add the blueberries and brie pieces and fold in gently until incorporated. Pat out dough on a lightly floured surface to about and inch thick. Cut into triangles or rounds.
- Place on the prepared sheet pan and brush with a lightly beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until golden, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the pan and then serve immediately.