Chocolate hazelnut cookies

What can I possibly say about cookies that hasn’t already been said a thousand times before? They’re fun. They’re simple. They’re crowd-pleasers. They may not be the fanciest or most sophisticated treat out there, and sometimes they aren’t even pretty, but we love them anyway.

At least I do.

Scharfen Berger

Chocolate hazelnut cookies

Cookies are my saving grace when I need a dessert in a pinch. Another thing I love about them? They’re extremely adaptable and hard to mess up (but if you do mess up, I guess the punishment is you get to just eat the dough, bummer).

I came up with these chocolate hazelnut cookies on the fly in one such pinch situation. I had just an hour to bake something to take along with me to a dinner party. I didn’t have time to go to the store, or to browse through my expansive collection of recipes to try. I needed something fast and easy, and so cookies seemed like a logical choice.

Chocolate hazelnut cookies

But I wanted something different from the usual chocolate chip cookies that those around my have likely grown tired of. I remembered the Scharffen Berger cocoa in my pantry and chopped hazelnuts (leftover from this chocolate hazelnut ice cream) in my freezer. Our family’s chocolate cookies came to mind and seemed like the perfect recipe to play with.

Chocolate hazelnut cookies

These chocolate cookies are very soft and almost cake-like. The chopped hazelnuts that I used were ground so small that they almost disappeared in the cookie once baked, leaving behind just their flavor. I’m telling you, these cookies taste just like nutella in cookie form. After the first bite I thought, I’m rich!

Well, I may have gotten a little carried away in that moment, but it’s always fun to come up with a successful new recipe. The cookies are wonderful just as as they are using the recipe below, but next time I might try adding some bigger chunks of hazelnut, or perhaps some dark chocolate chips.

One downside to cookies, perhaps the only one, is that it sure is hard to stop eating them. I gave all of these cookies away and I cannot tell you how much I’ve regretted it ever since.

Chocolate hazelnut cookies

Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies
View printable recipe

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch process)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup hazelnuts, very finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet mixture in the stand mixer and mix on low until combined. Add the chopped hazelnuts.

Spoon onto the prepared baking sheet by rounded tablespoons. Bake until cookies are firm and cracked on top, about 10 minutes. Cookies will be very soft. Use a spatula to transfer them to a cooling rack and cool completely.

21 Responses to Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies

1. Flavia says:

Annalise, these sound amazing and they are so pretty! Nutella is one of my favorite spreads and I love how youo captured the flavor in these cookies. Definitely going to try them!

2. Louise, Raspberries In Winter says:

Oh my goodness me. So so so yummy!

3. Connie the Cookie Monster says:

sounds like ferrero rocher in cookie form!

4. Priya says:

Wow those cookies looks damn addictive and irresistible..

5. kelley {mountain mama cooks} says:

Yes, yes, yes. They might not be sophisticated but they are the perfect ending to any meal.

6. We Are Not Martha says:

These seriously look like perfection. I love how you can see how soft and moist they are from the photos alone :)

Sues

7. Becky at VintageMixer says:

I am a sucker for hazelnuts. Hazelnut anything really. I made a hazelnut pesto the other day!! Your cookies look amazing. It was great to see you last night!

8. Erika Beth, the Messy Chef says:

Mmmm!
    Looks like a great cookie. And you're right, cookies are great!

9. kankana says:

I really need to get some good dark coco. The ones i have don't give that nice dark color. These cookies are looking so yum!

10. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

my mouth is now watering! Have a great weekend!

11. Irishbaker says:

That last picture of the cookies is amazing,they look almost fudgy!

12. Tres Delicious says:

Really craving for it :) Nice pics

13. myfudo says:

Marvelous! So rocky outside but looks chewy inside. I love the idea of taking hazelnut in cookies.

14. Russell at Chasing Delicious says:

This cookie recipe looks scrumptious! I have a small–huge–addiction to cookies. I am definitely trying this one soon.

15. JD says:

I did what you said not to, and used the dutch process cocoa powder because that’s all that I had on hand. It wasn’t until after they were in the oven that I decided to look up the difference. So they didn’t turn out the way they were supposed to, but are still amazingly delicious, and definitely edible! In fact, I don’t think they’re going to last very long at all :)

16. Mary says:

These came out perfectly! I used less than you recommended for the chocolate and hazelnuts (because I was working with what I had in the kitchen), but they are still great! They puffed and cracked just like your pictures, and they taste sweet and light. I also added some cinnamon, just because. I will definitely use this recipe again, maybe with different flavors! Thank you. :)

17. Amber says:

I typed “Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies” into Google in attempts to satisfy my craving for this perfect combination of flavours. I was pleasantly surprised when I came across your blog and these amazing looking cookies! I can’t wait to give them a try. Thanks so much for sharing :)

18. Yasmin says:

I made them and they looked pretty much exactly like the ones in your picture. Followed the recipe, except I added a tablespoon of Nutella for fun. The flavour was great, can’t say the same for the texture. I wanted chewy cookies and instead got a cakey-crumbly dry brownies. I think it may have to do with the fact the recipe calls for creaming the butter and not melting it.

19. Siera sim says:

I had all of these items on hand so I thought I’d give them a shot! I was surprised at how simple they were and I love the texture and appearance even though you don’t think they are fancy, they are a steps above my average chocolate chip cookie! Thank you for sharing, it was my first attempt at making a chocolate cookie :)

20. Chelsea says:

Good day!

Thank you kindly for the recipe. I was given some freshly roasted hazelnuts from a friend who lives on a hazelnut farm, and I wanted to do something special with them. I’m using a friends stove so the first bake was little overdone but I got it right on the second go. The only thing I noticed that was a bit funny was that the dough was really dry. The cheap mixer I was using couldn’t do the job and I wasn’t even really getting anywhere with the wooden spoon, so I went with the old god given tools and used my hands. I was debating adding a bit of water, milk, or more butter, but after double checking that I had the ingredients right I didn’t want to mess with the recipe. They turned out great! Delicious.. mmm.. can’t stop eating them.. had to give some away..

Thanks again! Will be checking your site for future recipes.

Thanks for the comment! I’ve had a few comments about the dough being on the dry side. I’ll have to bake them again and make sure everything’s right in the recipe. Glad you liked them though!