Don’t you just hate it when you’re home alone surrounded by five dozen fresh-from-the-oven cookies?

Yeah, me neither. Or at least not until the fifteenth cookie gives me a tummy ache.

Last week started out with a nasty head cold that kept me in bed for a few days. One afternoon I decided I’d had enough and moved to the kitchen (still in pjs and with extreme bed head) and baked these Snickerdoodle cookies to brighten my mood.

And brighten my mood they did! They were just the right adorable size that I couldn’t stop popping them into my mouth.

I doubt you’d be able to resist either. Their thin crunchy cinnamon-sugar exterior gives way a very soft, almost cake-like, center. If you’re a fan of a more firmer cookie, just let them bake for an extra minute or two.

picnikfile_zY90PJ

But I liked them just like this— soft, subtly sweet and cinnamony, and positively scrumptious.

Snickerdoodle Cookies
Makes approximately 5 dozen cookies

3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and brown sugar on medium high speed until light and creamy. Add the eggs and beat to combine, scraping the bowl down as necessary.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients in the stand mixer and mix on medium speed until combined.

Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll the cookie dough into small balls (mine were rounded 1/2 tablespoons) and roll in the cinnamon sugar. Place evenly on the prepared cookies sheets.

Bake until they are just turning golden brown, about 7-8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Print this recipe

23 Responses to Snickerdoodle Cookies

1. Jenny says:

These look great! I love snickerdoodles:) Simple but sweet!

2. shewhisks says:

These look absolutely gorgeous. I'd never heard of snickerdoodle before and in the past two days, I found a recipe for Snickerdoodle muffins and now this! It's a sign, I guess! They look good, will need to make some asap!

3. Priya says:

Snickerdoodles looks super pretty and excellent..

4. What's Cookin Stacey?? says:

My favorite cookie! Love your blog!

5. Roxan says:

It's so funny you post this because I just found this container of cinnamon sugar in my cupboard that I had made a while back but forgot about! I could tooootally go for some snickerdoodle cookies right now… maybe even enough to give me a stomach agke!

6. Roxan says:

Oops! I meant to say stomach ache. No idea how that came out as agke.

7. Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum says:

These look like the perfect sweet, pillowy soft therapy for a bad day. Or a good day. Or any day. :) Lovely pics, too!

8. Shannon says:

Those look amazing! Snickerdoodles are awesome.

9. Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking says:

These are my absolute favorite cookies! They look magnificent, Annalise. There's nothing better than soft snickerdoodles straight out of the oven. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to try these soon.

10. A. Verzello says:

It was so nice to meet you today! I've scrolled through your posts and your recipes look delicious. And next time you need someone to share cookies with, I'm here for ya!

11. Anna says:

I just made these but while I quite like their taste & texture (except that I find them a bit too sweet, so I would go for 3/4 cup of sugar max. next time), they do not look nearly as light as yours in the pictures – did you really use brown sugar as the recipe says? Mine have a distinct molasses taste I am not sure Snickerdoodles are supposed to have…

12. Annalise says:

Anna,

I did in fact use brown sugar. My original recipe called for white sugar but I decided this time to play around with the brown. I like the darker flavor it brought to the snickerdoodles, but white would be equally delicious.

I wonder if you didn't fully cream the butter and the brown sugar? Beating it on high for several minutes makes it lighter in texture and color, almost to the point that you wouldn't be able to tell brown sugar vs white.

13. Anna says:

Thanks for the tip, Annalise – I might indeed not have beaten the butter & sugar long enough, as the mixture still looked quite dark – I'll try to cream it longer next time; I didnt't know this can make such a difference! Overall, I like the idea of brown sugar in these cookies as I think it gives them quite a bit of depth flavourwise.

14. Juliane says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! Beautiful photographs! I have to admit- I seem to gravitate toward baking over everything. Must be that sweet tooth. Can't wait to peruse your sight in more depth:-)

15. Anna says:

Hey, just a quick follow-up on my earlier comments – I tried your recipe with white sugar the other day and had AMAZING results, flavour & texture wise!! They did not look as pretty as yours (they did not sink in the middle after baking, but I also had to use baking powder), but these tasted so good I will just keep on trying :-)

I just made these. I want you to know that these are really good cookies. Fantastic flavor (light, which I loved with this), and even better texture (very soft inside, slight crunch outside). Thank you Annalise!!

17. the nonpareil baker says:

I know what you mean about not being able to stop eating these! They are so comforting and addicting :) I think I ate 7 in one day…

18. naila says:

Hi Annalise, i made the cookies and everyone loved them they came out crisp till the center and were vere light. but they dint come out soft and chewy in the center. moreover , the first batch dint become flat they just spread a bit during baking. so i made the second batch flat . also they dint have the cracked texture just smooth on top. but everyone at home liked the end result. could plz tell me how to get the same taste and texture as in ur pics.

thanx n regards

Naila, thanks so much for taking the time to comment. But without being there with you in your kitchen while you made the cookies, I couldn’t say what happened to give those results. The temperature of the butter plays a large part in cookie spread, make sure it’s not too warm. And the length you bake them can affect that cracked texture on top. I usually take them out just a minute before they look totally done, which makes the crisp outer layer collapse some on the soft center. Hope this helps!

19. naila says:

Thank you Annalise for the tips, il try the cookies again keeping the tips in mind. My father says these r the best cookies hez ever had. and this is what a cookie should be like soft n light.

I just made these with my 4-year old son, followed your recipe to a T (er, save for the part where I messed up and put the 1/2 cup of white sugar and cinnamon in with the dry mix) and they are AMAZING! :D I baked them on air bake pans and mmm…crispy outside, cakey inside, just like you said. And that’s even with me messing up!

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipes. I have made your coconut cake, banana bread, and now the snickerdoodles. Everything has turned out just exactly how I like them, and exactly how you said they would turn out. Yours is by far my favorite baking blog, and your recipes are better than I’ve ever found in any cookbook. And you take beautiful photos. Thank you, Annalise!